Joseph Hanna is a commercial litigator and legal adviser nationally recognized for his work in media and entertainment law, as well as for being a leading voice for diversity in the legal and business communities.
Joe is the founder and chair of Goldberg Segalla’s Sports and Entertainment Practice Group, chair of its Retail and Hospitality Practice Group, editor of the Sports and Entertainment Law Insider blog, and chair of the firm’s Diversity Task Force.
He is the founder and president of Bunkers in Baghdad, a nonprofit that collects and sends golf equipment to U.S. soldiers and veterans worldwide to aid in recreation and rehabilitation from injuries.
In 2015, Joe was the youngest honoree ever to be named Lawyer of the Year in the Bar Association of Erie County’s 130-year history, and multiple times he has ranked among the top 10 attorneys in Western New York in Business First’s annual Legal Elite.
He represents national-league sports franchises, professional athletes, movie studios, and others in the sports and entertainment world on a wide range of high-value matters involving licensing, contracts, and day-to-day business management.
Major retail and restaurant chains, global hotel and hospitality enterprises, shopping centers, property owners, and developers rely on Joe to find creative and cost-efficient resolutions to disputes with other parties, to represent them in commercial litigation, and to handle a broad array of legal and business challenges.
An accomplished mediator, he is also a member of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution’s Panels of Distinguished Neutrals, a group of global leaders in providing and promoting alternative dispute resolution.
In 2016, Joe participated in Harvard Law School’s Executive Education Program, an intensive accelerated program designed to enhance leadership development in law firm partners. He graduated summa cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo and cum laude from its law school.
He received his Master of Public Administration degree with a concentration on Public and Nonprofit Management from Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs in 2014, graduating in the top 5 percent of his class. In 2018, he received a Master’s in Sports Administration from Canisius College, graduating summa cum laude.
- American Bar Association
- Minority Bar Association of Western New York: President, 2011
- Minority Bar Association of Western New York Foundation, Inc.: President, 2012–14
- Defense Research Institute
- Bar Association of Erie County: Judiciary Committee, 2010-2014
- New York State Bar Association
- Canisius College, M.S.A. (Master in Sports Administration), summa cum laude, 2018
- Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, M.P.A., Public and Nonprofit Management Concentration, Top 5% of Class, July 2014
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., Middle Eastern Politics and Cultural Affairs, summa cum laude, 2002
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., Political Science, Public Affairs Concentration, summa cum laude, 2002
Rate : $$$