Joseph Hoag represents and counsels employers in a variety of contexts, from complex statutory and regulatory areas of occupational safety and health law (OSHA) and ERISA to common law and statutory claims of discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, failure to accommodate, and contract violations.
In his OSHA practice, Joseph assists clients on the full range of OSHA and state-plan regulator contact, from letter-inquiries and injury reporting requirements to inspections, appeals of citations, and claims of retaliation. Joseph’s OSHA practice is nationwide and he has significant experience with federal OSHA, Washington State DOSH, and Cal/OSHA.
In his ERISA practice, Joseph represents pension plans, employers, and participants nationwide. He has successfully represented ERISA clients in class actions, arbitration, and single-plaintiff Multi Employer Pension Plan Act litigation.
Joseph also has a thriving employment practice representing employers against claims of discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, failure to accommodate, and contract violations. He has experience at all levels of state and federal litigation, from prevailing in dispositive motions and successfully defending those victories in state and federal courts of appeals, to successfully defending clients through bench or jury trials.
Joseph regularly advises clients regarding the intricacies of federal and state regulations on background checks, as well as discrimination, freedom of religion, and privacy issues for private higher education and religiously-affiliated clients.
Joseph is active in pro bono activities. He has represented, and continues to represent, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA), low-income families seeking to adopt, and victims of domestic violence.
- Extern, Hon. Ronald B. Leighton, Federal District Court for the Western District of Washington, Tacoma, Wash., 2010
- Judicial Clerk, Justice James M. Johnson, Washington State Supreme Court, Olympia, Wash., 2009-2010
- Extern, U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Massachusetts, Criminal Division, Boston, 2007
- Summer Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Office of Policy and Legislation, Washington, D.C., 2007
Professional & Community Activities:
- Board Member and Secretary, MS Helping Hands – The Donor Closet
- Former Board Member, Excel Public Charter School
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2009
- Executive Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy
- President, Harvard Student Chapter, J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Research Assistant, Professor Guhan Subramanian, Corporate Law
- B.S., Psychology, Brigham Young University, 2005, magna cum laude
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA), Utah State Courts
Rate : $$$$