A proven problem-solver, Joseph A. Patella represents clients in high stakes commercial litigation with a focus on financial services, energy, insurance, retail and the art world. With significant experience in federal and state trial courts and arbitration proceedings, Joe is called upon by business leaders to handle their most sensitive matters.
He regularly litigates disputes concerning contracts, fraud, fiduciary duty, deceptive trade practices, unfair competition, labor and employment, and insurance.
Joe also represents auction houses, museums and art collectors in disputes concerning fine art and cultural property.
Joe’s practice also includes advising corporate clients on ways to manage and control litigation risks, including conducting internal investigations.
- Representation of cookware manufacturer in California consumer class action alleging violations of Song-Beverly Credit Card Act.
- Representation of renewable energy provider in arbitration brought against engineering firm for faulty design of pipeline that supplied steam to an assembly plant operated by General Motors.
- Representation of renowned New York auction house for more than a decade in fine art disputes concerning such issues as authenticity, title, attribution, provenance, fraud, deceptive practices and copyright.
- Representation of investor in Singapore arbitration before The International Chamber of Commerce in dispute over ownership of power plant located in Pakistan.
- Representation of real estate lender in multiple disputes arising from the finance, construction, operation and management of a New York City hotel.
- Representation of foreign state and museum seeking recovery of 16th century volume of prints and drawings taken during World War II.
- Representation of telecommunications company in New York class action alleging Federal Communications Act violations.
- Representation of Cayman Island entity in Delaware shareholder derivative dispute seeking majority control of Latin American food distributor.
- Representation of hotel and hospitality business in wage and hour dispute under Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Representation of senior secured creditor of bankrupt entity in malpractice action brought against entity’s accountants.
- Representation of accounting firm in Florida class action concerning massive fraud perpetrated on investors of viatical life settlements.
- Representation of financial services firm in insurance dispute brought by popular musical recording artist.
- JD, Brooklyn Law School, President, Moot Court Honors Society, 1996
- BA, Fordham University, cum laude, 1993
- New York
- New Jersey
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Northern District of New York
- US District Court, Western District of New York
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association, Art Law Committee
Rate : $$$$