Joseph C. Schoell has handled a variety of corporate and commercial litigation in state and federal courts, and has advised clients on Delaware corporate and business entity law. He also has substantial experience in regulatory and administrative law as well as government relations matters.
Joe has an extensive background in corporate and commercial litigation, including actions involving stockholder disputes, derivative litigation, securities cases, and mergers and acquisitions.
Over the course of his career, Joe has represented directors and officers in fiduciary duty cases, handled disputes involving corporate governance and control, and litigated statutory proceedings arising under the Delaware General Corporation Law (actions for appraisal and stockholders and directors’ demands for books and records).
Joe’s practice also involves administrative law, government law and general business matters. From 2001 through 2006, Joe served as Deputy Legal Counsel and later as Chief Legal Counsel Governor Ruth Ann Minner of Delaware.
- Serving as regulatory counsel for Delaware electric utility and related parties in connection with regulatory approval of merger of Exelon Corporation and Pepco Holdings, Inc., by the Delaware Public Service Commission.
- Serving as general counsel for Delaware State Housing Authority in connection with a variety of matters, including the development and financing of affordable housing and general policy and administration issues.
- Represented special committee of directors in connection with a sale of assets of subsidiary contract security company.
- Defended appeals brought under the Delaware Coastal Zone Act related to permit for fuel cell installation.
- Served as counsel to special litigation committee of publicly-traded Delaware corporation investigating accounting fraud and stock option backdating.
- Yale Law School, J.D.
- University of Delaware, B.A., summa cum laude
Bar Admissions : Delaware
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Delaware
Rate : $$$