Joseph S. Simpson has represented Fortune 500 clients concerning compliance in Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), and other matters.
Additionally, Joe has extensive experience in environmental indemnity litigation. In recent years, Joe has served as counsel for a major petroleum company in litigation challenging the company’s Clean Air Act permits for a multibillion dollar refinery expansion project.
He also served as part of a team that successfully defended a major petroleum company in multimillion dollar litigation related to environmental representations and warranties pertaining to the sale of a chemical plant. Joe’s practice experience extends to other civil litigation, including product liability, toxic tort, personal injury, civil rights, franchising, and commercial litigation.
- J.D., cum laude, The University of Toledo, 1988
- B.S., magna cum laude, Atlantic Christian College, 1985
Bar and Court Admissions:
- Ohio, 1988
- United States District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1988
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2003
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit, 2006
- Defended a major oil refining company in a putative air pollution class action, defeating a motion for class certification and obtaining partial summary judgment and dismissal of claims.
- Managed the nationwide CERCLA/Superfund litigation and administrative matters for a major paper company.
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Ohio AgriBusiness Association
- Michigan Agri-Business Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Toledo Bar Association
Rate : $$$