Joseph L. Sorkin advises companies engaged in contentious disputes related to corporate restructuring. He also conducts internal investigations and defends clients facing investigations and other enforcement actions by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Joseph has extensive experience in federal multidistrict litigation involving putative class actions. He has also handled complex, parallel investigations by the DOJ, SEC and various state attorneys general.
Joseph’s clients include:
- Insurance companies
- Financial services institutions
- Alternative investment firms
- Commercial lenders
- Real estate developers
- Debtors and creditors committees
Joseph devotes significant time to pro bono matters and has done work assisting asylum seekers to the United States through his involvement with Human Rights Watch and The Legal Aid Society.
- Clients are primarily in the financial services, insurance and commercial real estate industries.
- Focuses on bankruptcy litigation.
- Also conducts internal investigations for public companies under enforcement scrutiny.
- Successfully represented a real estate developer in New York State court litigation, achieving a successful summary judgment verdict.
- Achieved a successful dismissal based on the Securities Litigation Uniform Standards Act (SLUSA) in federal multidistrict litigation alleging a putative class action against a major insurance and financial services company.
- Representing two major insurance and financial services companies in a successful dismissal from federal multidistrict litigation involving a putative class action and individual suits alleging antitrust violations.
- Acted as litigation counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of General Growth Properties, Inc.
- Advising a major insurance and financial services company in a joint DOJ (Antitrust Division) and SEC investigation and parallel investigation by various attorneys general.
- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School,cum laude, 2001
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1994
- New York
Rate : $$$