Joshua Asher is an associate in the Litigation and Enforcement practice group of Ropes & Gray. Josh’s practice focuses on white-collar criminal defense, including government and internal investigations, and complex civil litigation.
Josh has extensive experience representing individuals and corporate clients in criminal and civil litigation, and in government enforcement actions involving health care fraud and potential violations of the False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Josh also regularly advises clients across a broad range of industries regarding corruption, sanctions, and money laundering risk assessments and due diligence matters related to various transactions and investments.
- JD, Columbia University School of Law, 2011; James Kent Scholar; Parker School Certificate of Achievement in International and Comparative Law; senior editor, Columbia Law Review
- BA (History and Political Science), cum laude, Northwestern University, 2006
- Illinois, 2016
- District of Columbia, 2013
- New York, 2012
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Paul S. Diamond, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Represented multinational pharmaceutical company in a long-running DOJ investigation into donations to charitable assistance foundations that provide financial assistance to Medicare patients.
- Represented multinational medical device company in a DOJ and SEC investigation into alleged FCPA violations related to operations in Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
- Conducted anti-corruption diligence and drafted related deal terms for investments and acquisitions by private equity firms and healthcare companies.
- Represented a leading technology company in a commercial dispute arising out of a national security review by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (“CFIUS”).
- Represented the insured party in a major insurance coverage litigation involving issues of environmental liabilities in the defense contracting industry.
- Represented Indian nationals against their former employer in litigation involving claims of human trafficking, fraudulent misrepresentation and breach of contract.
- Defended former government official in a criminal investigation concerning the official’s alleged theft of government property, resulting in a non-prosecution agreement.
Rate : $$$$