Joshua D. Bernstein serves as the co-chair of Akerman’s Hospitality Sector Team, a multidisciplinary group providing an extensive range of legal counsel and services to lodging and lifestyle companies. An experienced litigator specializing in real estate, hospitality, and international disputes, Josh is regularly called upon to solve his clients’ most pressing legal issues.
He works with real estate and hospitality investors, owners, and operators to protect their investments. Josh has obtained multimillion dollar judgments on behalf of his clients and many of his cases have had long-term legal and business implications, including shaping the law regarding the termination of hotel management, franchise, and operations contracts.
Josh’s clients include hotel owners and operators, commercial property owners, lenders, developers, commercial and restaurant tenants, general contractors and subcontractors, and high-net-worth individuals.
With a national practice in federal and state courts, Josh litigates disputes in the wake of the acquisition and development of real property, the operation and management of hotels, complex real estate and hospitality financing, commercial leases, and construction. He also represents clients in arbitrations and mediations in the United States and internationally.
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 2001, cum laude
- B.A., Hofstra University, 1998
Bar Admissions : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Co-Author, “Marriott/Starwood Merger Good for Brands, Not Owners,” December 3, 2015
- New York City Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Real Estate Litigation Committee, Co-Chair; Mechanics Lien Subcommittee
- American Bar Association, Member; Forum on Construction Industry
- Law360, Member, Hospitality Law Advisory Board
Rate : $$$