C0-Managing Partner of the Firm’s Washington, D.C. office, Joshua Ford Bonnie is one of the preeminent IPO lawyers in the nation and regularly counsels public companies on spin-offs and other significant strategic transactions, capital markets offerings and general corporate and securities law matters.
Josh has advised a significant number of companies on their initial public offerings, including:
- Invitation Homes Inc. (2017) in the second largest IPO in history by a U.S. REIT
- Ares Management L.P. (2014)
- Medley Management Inc. (2014)
- Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc. (2013) in the largest IPO in history by a hospitality company and the second largest U.S. IPO of 2013
- Brixmor Property Group Inc. (2013) in the third largest IPO in history by a U.S. REIT
- Quintiles Transnational Holdings Inc. (2013)
- The Carlyle Group L.P. (2012)
- Regional Management Corp. (2012)
- The Blackstone Group L.P. (2007) in the largest U.S. IPO of 2007
- MasterCard Incorporated (2006) in the largest U.S. IPO of 2006
- Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. (2005)
- Accenture Ltd (2001) in the second largest U.S. IPO of 2001
Josh has extensive experience with complex IPOs, including those employing UP-C and other multiple-tier umbrella partnership structures. Josh has also advised on spin-offs and other significant strategic transactions, including:
- Dover Corporation in the 2018 spin-off of its upstream energy business into a standalone, publicly traded company
- Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc. on the 2017 spin-offs of the bulk of its real estate business, Park Hotels & Resorts Inc., as a publicly traded real estate investment trust (REIT), and of its timeshare business, Hilton Grand Vacations Inc., as a separate publicly traded company
- Blackstone on its 2015 spin-off of its financial advisory businesses and its 2007 sale of $3 billion of non-voting common units to a sovereign wealth fund established by the People’s Republic of China
- Ingersoll Rand on its 2013 spin-off of its commercial and residential security businesses and 2009 reorganization incorporating its parent company in Ireland
- The Carlyle Group on the 2010 and 2007 investments in that firm by Mubadala Development Company, the Abu Dhabi–based strategic development and investment company
In addition to his company-side work, Josh routinely represents major investment banking firms, including BofA Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley and Wells Fargo on equity capital markets transactions.
Josh was featured in The American Lawyer’s “Dealmakers of the Year” in 2008, is recognized in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Legal 500 United States as one of the leading capital markets practitioners in the United States, and is endorsed by PLC Which Lawyer?.
Chambers says “Joshua Ford Bonnie is spoken of highly by sources, with one commenting: ‘He is a true partner: He is highly commercial, thinks like a business person and anticipates what we’ll need before we need it.’ This source adds: ‘His customer service is as good as it gets.’ He is also highlighted as being ‘very pragmatic and knowledgeable’ and is particularly noted for his handling of IPOs.” The Legal 500 United States says that “‘IPO powerhouse’ Joshua Ford Bonnie is noted as ‘second-to-none.’”
Josh graduated from the University of Virginia and the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was an editor of the Virginia Journal of International Law. After serving as a law clerk to the Hon. Robert R. Merhige, Jr. (E.D. Va.), Josh joined Simpson Thacher in 1996.
- University of Virginia School of Law, 1995 J.D.
- Virginia Journal of International Law, 1993–1995
- University of Virginia, 1991 B.A.
- District of Columbia 2015
- New York 1997
Rate : $$$$