Joshua P. Hanbury is a creative and solutions-driven litigation associate with a unique talent for managing clients’ needs in complex litigation. In particular, clients from the financial services, environmental, and products manufacturing sectors rely on Josh’s agility and process management skills to guide them through all facets of discovery and ESI governance.
Josh frequently works closely with clients early in a matter to develop and execute discovery plans that best position those clients to develop their cases. Often representing clients in the Eastern District of Virginia’s “Rocket Docket,” Josh is proactive and helps clients stay ahead in fast-paced litigation.
Josh is a skilled writer that frequently advocates for clients by drafting discovery motions, motions in limine, and dispositive motions. Josh also counsels clients in the consumer products and financial services sectors on regulatory compliance issues and litigation risks.
Josh served as a volunteer attorney at the Office of the Federal Public Defender, Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division, in 2009, and as a judicial intern for the Hon. Robert E. Payne, Eastern District of Virginia, in 2008.
He frequently assists less fortunate clients with landlord-tenant disputes on a pro bono bases as well.
Josh is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Virginia, the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Primary drafting responsibility for federal appellate brief on behalf of several businesses in the coal industry in a putative mass tort class action.
- Primary drafting responsibility on dispositive motions that were critical in obtaining dismissals of fair debt collection claims against a Fortune 500 financial company and its subsidiary.
- Served as electronic discovery counsel on multi-million dollar business tort suit.
- Routinely develops and supervises collection, review and production of electronic documents in complex litigation.
- Provided counseling to prepaid access providers and loan originators regarding anti-money laundering requirements.
- Provided advice to consumer product manufacturer clients regarding litigation risks and regulatory compliance issues.
- Assisted in drafting briefs for motions to dismiss, discovery motions and other procedural motions for litigation in federal court.
- Obtained favorable trial and settlement results for pro bono clients in landlord-tenant disputes.
- JD, University of Richmond School of Law, magna cum laude, Articles and Comments Editor, University of Richmond Law Review, McNeill Law Society, 2009
- BA, English, University of Virginia, 2005
- Virginia Bar Association
Rate : $$$