Joshua S. Levy is co-chair of the global Litigation and Enforcement practice group at Ropes & Gray LLP in Boston. He focuses on white collar defense and related complex civil litigation, particularly in the health care, pharmaceutical, medical device and Health IT industries.
In 2018, Joshua was one of the lead lawyers handling Pfizer’s $23.8 million False Claims Act settlement involving novel kickback theories relating to Patient Assistance Programs. In 2017, Joshua led a team that secured a $40 million criminal and civil global resolution with DOJ, FDA, OIG and the SEC, which included criminal misbranding and HIPAA charges.
In 2016, Mr. Levy secured a complete acquittal after a three-week trial in federal court of a real estate developer and he was named as one of the Lawyers of the Year by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
In 2016, Joshua also led teams that secured the first DOJ declination under the FCPA Pilot Program and won a significant False Claims Act case in the First Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Levy spent seven years as a federal prosecutor in the Economic Crimes Unit at the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts.
He prosecuted a wide range of white collar crimes, including health care fraud, securities fraud, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations, terrorism financing, investor fraud, embezzlement, export violations, environmental crimes, and telemarketing fraud.
Joshua was profiled in an American Lawyer story about leading federal prosecutors for his work at the U.S. Attorney’s Office. He received the Attorney General’s Award for Exceptional Service in 2000. Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Joshua was a litigation associate at Ropes & Gray and a Special Assistant District Attorney in Middlesex County.
- JD, magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 1992; Order of the Coif; associate editor, Georgetown Law Journal
- BA, Brown University, 1987
- Massachusetts, 1993
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS : Supervising Partner, Ropes & Gray/Steppingstone Foundation Legal Partnership (2011-present)
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- Member, Criminal Justice Act Panel, United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts (2007-present)
- Discovering Justice Board of Trustees Vice Chair (2013-present); Trustee since 2009
- The Carroll School Board of Trustees Vice Chair (2013-2017); Trustee since 2011
- Board of Directors The Steppingstone Foundation (2015-present); member Board of Ambassadors (2013-2015)
- Lead trial counsel in an acquittal of a real estate developer indicted on federal wire fraud and conspiracy charges in connection with Wynn Resorts’ purchase of land to develop a $2 billion luxury casino resort outside Boston. Not guilty jury verdict on all counts after three week trial.
- Lead counsel on DOJ/SEC FCPA investigation for leading tech company relating to conduct in China, resulting in first ever public declination by DOJ under FCPA pilot program and rare Non-Prosecution Agreement with SEC.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in a False Claims Act procurement case relating to Massport supplies contracts.
- Lead counsel in a $491 million global resolution of an off-label promotion investigation for an international pharmaceutical company.
- Lead counsel for service provider in a novel criminal tax investigation that resulted in a complete declination of prosecution nine months after execution of a search warrant by IRS agents at corporate headquarters.
- Co-lead counsel representing major pharmaceutical manufacturer in multi-year wide-ranging criminal investigation into Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act allegations and kickback allegations.
- Lead counsel for international pharmaceutical company on a health care fraud matter that resulted in a favorable agreed upon resolution.
- Lead counsel for individual indicted for over 135 felonies arising out of the Big Dig investigation; secured no jail resolution for client.
- Lead counsel for multiple defendants and witnesses in criminal securities, environmental, public corruption, and health care fraud investigations and indictments.
Rate : $$$