Joshua Amsel is a partner in Weil’s Securities Litigation practice group, where he focuses on defending shareholder class and derivative litigation, advising on M&A transactions and related litigation, and counseling boards of directors, board committees and senior management with respect to securities, corporate governance, disclosure and regulatory issues, among others.
Mr. Amsel also has extensive experience representing clients in connection with internal, governmental and regulatory investigations, including those before the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Commodities Futures Trading Commission, the New York Stock Exchange and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Some of his recent nationwide representations include:
- representing Sanofi, a global pharmaceutical company, and its former CEO in obtaining the dismissal of a consolidated federal securities class action brought by a putative class of investors in Sanofi American Depositary Shares;
- obtaining a significant Third Circuit decision affirming summary judgment for an important private equity client in a federal securities action that, going forward, is likely to provide important protection to portfolio company board designees of private equity firms;
- navigating Gentiva Health Services, Inc. through shareholder class and derivative litigation in New York federal court and Georgia state and federal court relating to the company’s Medicare reimbursement practices;
- representing the former directors of Elizabeth Arden, Inc. in winning the dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a putative shareholder class action in Florida state court challenging Revlon’s acquisition of Elizabeth Arden, Inc.;
- representing a major real estate investor in multi-forum litigation relating to the ownership and control of his family’s real estate holdings;
- representing the syndicate of underwriters of IntraLinks Holdings, Inc.’s April 2011 secondary offering in a federal securities class action relating to alleged misrepresentations concerning IntraLinks’ enterprise business.
Mr. Amsel is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Professional Hiring & Steering Committee and a member of the Firm’s Professional Development Committee. He also is a member of the American Bar Association, where he serves as co-chair of the M&A/Proxy Litigation subcommittee of the Securities Litigation committee of the ABA’s Litigation Section, and a member of the New York City Bar Association.
- Cornell University (B.S., 1997)
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- US Court of Appeals 2nd Cir.
- US Court of Appeals 3rd Cir.
- New York State
- Southern District New York
Rate : $$$