Joshua C. Weinberger concentrates his practice in the area of federal income tax planning for all types of commercial transactions, including partnership agreements, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, stock and asset purchase transactions, and other transactional contexts, addressing the federal (including international aspects), state, and local tax considerations.
Joshua handles a wide range of tax-related matters, both in the corporate and real estate contexts. He has represented both publicly traded and closely held companies in planning tax strategies and implementing corporate transactions.
He has a great deal of experience with like-kind exchanges (both with respect to real estate and other types of assets), as well as addressing the concerns of private and public REITs, pension funds, and other tax-exempt organizations.
In both his corporate and real estate practice, he has represented U.S. taxpayers making investments abroad, as well advising foreign individuals and entities regarding their operations and investments in the United States.
His practice also includes working with our Private Client Services Practice Group to address income and other related tax issues that arise in the context of estate planning. Outside of the transactional context, he has represented taxpayers before the IRS and state and local taxing authorities on audit and other controversy matters. He has also lectured on issues relating to partnerships, LLCs, real estate taxation, and exempt organizations/unrelated business income tax.
Joshua earned his undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from Yeshiva University and his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania, where he was an editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif.
- Represented Clark Capital Management Group, Inc. in connection with the sale of a large portion of its investment advisory business to AssetMark, Inc. The asset purchase agreement was negotiated in a compressed time frame and involved complicated issues relating to separating the portion of the business being sold from that being retained.
- Represented public and private REITs in all areas of operations and types of transactions, including issuance of debt and equity on the capital markets, and transactions with respect to UPREIT units.
- Provided tax advice to domestic and foreign pension funds, and other substantial tax-exempt organizations, with respect to large real estate development and investment projects (including in the joint venture context) addressing concerns specific to special types of taxpayers.
- Represented two apparel manufacturers with domestic and Central American operations in their sale to an affiliate of Apollo Global Management, LLC which is forming an apparel supply chain company in connection with a strategic partnership with Nike.
- Represented investors in purchasing convertible preferred limited liability company interests in a business that utilizes food waste from supermarkets and other sources to produce fertilizer, animal feed, and other products.
- Represented a physical therapy provider in a restructuring and financing involving multiple stakeholders and complex tax planning. The transaction drew upon the experience of the firm’s corporate, tax, and real estate attorneys.
- Represented the borrower in a senior-secured financing to refinance an existing senior loan and to acquire growth capital.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Yeshiva University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1995
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania
COURT ADMISSIONS : U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Rate : $$$$