Judy Lin Bristow is a member of the Business & Corporate Practice Team, chair of the firm’s Aviation Practice and member of the firm’s Unmanned Systems Team. Her practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions; corporate counseling; private securities offerings; private equity and venture capital transactions; joint ventures; business aviation transactions; anti-trust and trade regulation; and general business matters.
Judy handles transactions for clients in multiple industries including the banking & financial services, insurance and insurance brokerages, government contracting and transportation industries, and she has experience working with insurance and transportation regulators.
Judy’s anti-trust and trade regulation experience includes representing companies in the merger review process from deal inception and preliminary antitrust evaluation, to Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) and foreign filing analysis, advocacy before the FTC and DOJ, negotiation of remedies and consent decrees and guidance on pre-closing information exchanges.
She counsels clients on all manners of business conduct, including information exchanges, joint venture activity, pricing strategies, distribution and nonprice restraints and advertising restraints (e.g., minimum advertised price policies).
Judy also regularly represents:
- Private and public companies in connection with structuring, negotiating and managing mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and other complex business transactions.
- Private equity and other private investment funds in all aspects of their business, including fund formations, structuring, offerings, investments, acquisitions, financings, divestitures and compliance matters.
- Buyers, sellers, aircraft managers and owners, fixed based operators (FBOs) and lenders in business aircraft transactions on federal and state taxation matters, regulation of aircraft ownership and operations, airport leasing, structuring and negotiating mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations, tax-free exchanges, leasing and financing, and tax and corporate planning for the creation of aircraft operating structures.
- Domestic companies with establishing business operations in Hong Kong and China through joint ventures, representative offices and wholly foreign-owned enterprises (WFOEs).
Judy’s aviation practice focuses on serving clients who seek to own, manage and/or operate aircraft that are used for business transportation. She represents both public and private corporations and private individuals in connection with aircraft sale, purchase, leasing, fractional ownership, management, charter and financing transactions, and assists clients in structuring their aircraft operations to comply with applicable rules and regulations of the Federal Aviation Administration, Internal Revenue Service and state and local taxing authorities. Judy is also a member of the National Business Aviation Association. Specifically, Judy is experienced in providing advice on the following:
- Structuring ownership for buying and leasing an aircraft or fractional aircraft ownership.
- Utilizing aircraft through arrangements such as chartering, leasing, fractional ownership, time-sharing, interchange agreements, partnerships and aircraft management contracts.
- Compliance with income, sales, use and excise tax issues affecting aircraft ownership operations and corporate flight departments.
- Preparation of documents for buying and leasing of an aircraft including purchase agreements, 1031 exchange arrangements, (wet and dry) leasing agreements and management agreements.
- Preparation of documents for buying and leasing of a fractional aircraft ownership including purchase agreements, leasing agreements, management agreements and master interchange agreements.
- Negotiation of airport leasing, fueling and related operational agreements for fixed based operators (FBOs).
Judy serves on the board of the Virginia Aviation Business Association (VABA). She is a member of the Virginia and Florida state bars and is active in the American, Richmond and National Asian Pacific American (Virginia chapter) bar associations.
Judy serves on the firm’s Diversity Committee and co-chairs the firm’s Attorneys of Color Initiative. She was a member of the Leadership Metro Richmond Class of 2011.
Judy received a B.S. in psychology from Duke University in 1992. She received her J.D. from the T.C. Williams School of Law in 1997, and her M.B.A. from the Richard S. Reynolds School of Business, both at the University of Richmond.
While in law school, she served as manuscripts editor of the University of Richmond Law Reviewand authored “United States v. National Treasury Employees Union and the Constitutionality of the Honoraria Ban; Protecting the First Amendment Rights of Public Employees.” Prior to joining Williams Mullen, Judy served as a law clerk for the Norfolk Circuit Court – Fourth Judicial Circuit of Virginia
Rate : $$$