Julia Czarniak represents financial institutions, investors, underwriters and sponsors in all aspects of project development and project finance, particularly in the energy sector (including oil and gas, petrochemicals, LNG and power generation-related matters) and other infrastructure and industrial projects.
Ms. Czarniak has handled complex project financings in the United States, Asia and the Middle East. Ms. Czarniak has extensive experience structuring and negotiating joint ventures, project contracts and financing documents. She is representing or has represented:
- PT Paiton Energy in a $2 billion Rule 144A/Regulation S project bond issuance. This was the first investment-grade and the largest rated amortising international bond issue for an infrastructure project in Asia since 2000. This transaction was named “Best Investment Grade Bond” for 2017 by FinanceAsia and “Asia-Pacific Bond Deal of the Year” for 2017 by Project Finance International;
- Exxon Mobil Corporation in its $3 billion acquisition of a 25 percent indirect interest in the Area 4 block of the Rovuma Basin offshore Mozambique from Eni S.p.A.;
- the joint lead managers in a $9 billion Rule 144A/Regulation S bond offering by the State of Qatar;
- commercial lenders in connection with a $4 billion credit facility to Sasol for the construction of a petrochemical plant in Louisiana. This matter was named “Americas Petrochemical Deal of the Year” for 2014 by Project Finance International and “North American Petrochemicals Deal of the Year” by IJGlobal;
- Global Infrastructure Partners in its investment in a 1,029 MW natural gas-fired, combined cycle power generation facility to be located in Salem Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania;
- Citibank, N.A. and its affiliates in connection with a number of tax equity investment funds, including inverted leases, partnership flips and PACE transactions. The investments have been in the residential, commercial and industrial sectors;
Ms. Czarniak also works on general financing matters, including specialized structured financings, acquisition facilities, Rule 144A bond financings, and secured and unsecured letters of credit and loan facilities. In 2017, Ms. Czarniak was named as a Rockefeller Fellow. She also serves on the Editorial Board of the International Energy Law Review.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1997 (Georgetown International Law Review)
- M.A., Yale University, 1993 (Fox Scholarship)
Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$