Julia Padierna-Peralta is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Washington, DC office, with extensive experience in customs law, free trade agreements, and import compliance. She has significant knowledge in advising US and foreign companies on a broad spectrum of US-Mexico trade and customs matters, including issues arising under the North America Free Trade Agreement.
She is a former attorney-advisor in the Office of International Trade at US Customs and Border Protection, and prior to that an advisor and official liaison for the Mexican Senate on NAFTA at the Mexican Embassy in Washington, DC.
Julia advises domestic and international clients on all aspects of customs regulatory matters surrounding the import of merchandise into the US. This includes tariff classification, valuation, country of origin marking and labeling requirements, origin preference criteria, import compliance and importer self-assessment, customs prior disclosures, Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism validation, trade preference programs, and free trade agreements.
She assists clients in preparing binding ruling requests, protests, prior disclosures, and other communications with CBP and other government agencies. Julia also works closely with companies to develop import compliance programs to maximize compliance and minimize potential liabilities.
- American University (JD) (1999)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (MS) (1989)
- Georgetown University (BS) (1987)
- District of Columbia~United States (2006)
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2003)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2000)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims~United States (2000)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Customs Lawyers Association – Former President
- US-Mexico Chamber of Commerce – Former Board Member
Representative Legal Matters:
- Assisted a foreign airline in meeting CBP requirements to establish and operate a container freight station.
- Counseled a US crude oil refiner on the liberalization of NAFTA Rules of Origin and other US-Mexico trade issues.
- Assisted a US importer of specialty produce in securing the creation of a new statistical tariff breakout in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States.
- Assisted numerous US and foreign companies in diverse industries with import compliance training.
Rate : $$$