Julie A. Boswell primarily practices in the tax and corporate areas, serving clients in a wide variety of tax, estate planning, charitable and general business needs. Julie regularly advises nonprofits on legal issues including formation, restructuring, board governance, acquisition of property, revisions of gift restriction and other matters.
She also works with closely held businesses, many of which have active charitable giving programs either through a foundation, a donor-advised fund or planned giving at the owner level. Julie regularly communicates with the Tennessee attorney general on matters relating to charitable organizations seeking to merge, sell assets or dissolve.
Julie heads the Tax Exempt Subgroup of the Firm’s Tax Group, leading a team of more than 25 attorneys who spend a significant part of their practice in this area. Julie previously served as law clerk to the Honorable Mary Ann Cohen of the U.S. Tax Court in Washington, D.C.
- Georgetown University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, with distinction, 1997
- University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D. with honors, 1995
- University of Tennessee at Martin, B.S., summa cum laude, 1992
- Tennessee, 1995
- U.S. Tax Court
- Represented sellers in $200+ million transaction involving five quarries and related operations in the Southeastern United States.
- Represented ownership group of health care consulting company in recapitalization with private equity fund.
- Counsels a number of locally owned restaurants on all aspects of their operations.
- Assists closely held businesses with strategic transition of ownership.
- Advised financial services firm in sale to online broker.
- Advised closely held trucking company in structuring and sale of business.
- Estate and Tax
- Assists taxpayers with audit matters before the Internal Revenue Service.
- Seeks exemption for nonprofit organizations from the Internal Revenue Service and advises nonprofit organizations on operational issues.
- Assisted individual and corporate executors with the administration of estates.
- Consults with closely held business regarding succession planning.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Fellow – Nashville Bar Foundation
- Fellow – Tennessee Bar Foundation
- Member – Nashville Bar Association
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association
- Recipient – University of Tennessee at Martin’s Outstanding Young Alumni Award, 2012
- Member – Westminster Presbyterian Church
Rate : $$$