One of the world’s premier corporate lawyers, Julie H. Jones was appointed chair-elect of Ropes & Gray in 2017 and has served on the firm’s management committee since 2011. Julie has been honored as one of The American Lawyer’s prestigious “45 Under 45,” and was named “Corporate Lawyer of the Year” for both 2017 and 2019 and as M&A “Lawyer of the Year” in 2016 and 2018 by The Best Lawyers in America. Chambers ranks Julie in its Band 1 for Corporate/M&A.
Over the course of her career, Julie has led numerous multibillion-dollar deals, prompting clients to describe her as a “preternaturally cool-headed negotiator.” She has guided blockbuster deals across industries, including in health care, technolog, medical devices and retail (represented Petco in its sale to CVC Capital Partners and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board).
Julie’s ability to combine her leading expertise in federal securities laws with business acumen has caused clients to describe her as unique in the marketplace. Chambers commented “she can get down into the nitty-gritty and go head to head with the nerdiest, but she can also step back and be a field general for the client, seeing the big picture.”
Julie is a member of the Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and a frequent speaker on securities law matters for various other professional organizations. She is a graduate of Wellesley College and Cornell Law School.
- JD, magna cum laude, Cornell Law School, 1994; Order of the Coif
- BA, magna cum laude, Wellesley College, 1991
- Massachusetts, 1994
- New York, 2012
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Business Law Section of ABA
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES : Member, Board of Overseers for Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Represented TPG in its acquisition of Exactech, a leading provider of innovative bone and joint restoration products.
- Represented IASIS Healthcare in its sale to Steward Health Care, creating the largest private for-profit hospital operator in the United States.
- Represented TPG in its acquisition of Beaver-Visitec International, a leading provider of specialized surgical devices.
- Represented Petco, a leading pet specialty retailer, in its sale to CVC Capital Partners and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.
- Represented Party City Holdings Inc., a portfolio company of Thomas H. Lee Partners, in its IPO and its acquisition of NYSE listed iParty Corp.
- Represented LPL Financial, the nation’s largest independent broker-dealer network, in its $522 million IPO. The IPO is believed to be the largest U.S. IPO of 2010 for a private equity portfolio company.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its $1.1 billion acquisition of inVentiv Health, Inc., a pharmaceutical services provider.
Rate : $$$$