Julie A. Keersmaekers is an associate in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Complex Business & Commercial Litigation, Government Investigations, and Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practices. Julie represents clients in a broad range of government and internal investigations, regulatory enforcement actions, complex commercial litigation, and arbitration.
Julie has extensive experience representing corporations, boards of directors, and individuals in sensitive internal investigations as well as civil and criminal investigations by the Securities Exchange Commission, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and the Department of Justice involving allegations of commodities fraud, money laundering, wire and mail fraud, public corruption, health care fraud, U.S. trade sanctions violations, securities fraud, and foreign bribery.
These include alleged violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Commodities Exchange Act of 1936, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and the U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations.
In addition, Julie has significant experience representing corporations in complex commercial disputes, including matters involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secrets, and civil RICO claims, as well as employment litigation and tax controversy matters.
As a member of the Data Privacy and Cybersecurity practice, Julie helps clients respond to data security incidents while complying with state and federal breach notification requirements. Julie also tracks emerging cybersecurity risks and trends, and follows legislative developments and regulatory enforcement matters in the data privacy and security area.
Julie earned her J.D. from The University of Michigan Law School in 2011 and received her B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Michigan in 2006.
- University of Michigan Law School, Juris Doctor, 2011
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, magna cum laude, 2006
Admissions : State Bar Admissions, New York
- Before joining Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, Julie was a Litigation and White Collar Criminal Defense Associate in the New York office of Cohen & Gresser LLP. She also worked previously as an Associate in the New York office of Mayer Brown LLP.
- Julie was recognized as one of New York’s “Rising Stars” in Business Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Representative Cases and Legal Experience :
- Represented individuals in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations into the setting of LIBOR rates and other derivatives benchmarks.
- Represented a global engineering and construction company in an investigation relating to potential FCPA violations in Europe and South America.
- Represented an energy company in connection with an investigation involving allegations of fraud in connection with a merger.
- Prepared expert and fact witnesses for trials, hearings, and depositions. Executed opening statements, arguments, and examinations in arbitration hearings.
Rate : $$$$