Julie A. Moore is a Member in the firm’s Morgantown office. Julie focuses her practice in labor and employment law, serving clients from a variety of industries ranging from banking, to health care, to trucking, to energy. Additionally, Julie assists public and private college and universities with the unique challenges that face institutions of higher learning.
In the area of labor and employment law, Julie regularly counsels employers on the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), sexual harassment, employee discipline/termination, disability accommodation requests, wage and hour compliance, and federal and state anti-discrimination laws.
Julie routinely conducts customized in-house training programs for her clients’ supervisors and HR personnel on a variety of employment law topics. She also assists employers with reviewing and drafting their employee handbooks and other personnel policies.
Additionally, Julie regularly defends employers in litigation in state and federal courts throughout West Virginia and Pennsylvania, as well as with respect to complaints filed with the West Virginia Human Rights Commission and charges before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Julie also represents colleges, universities, and other educational institutions by providing compliance counseling, defending litigation, and conducting investigations.
Julie counsels higher education clients on compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, including Title IX, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Fair Housing Act (FHAct), and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Julie has defended numerous lawsuits brought against colleges and universities in a variety of contexts, including threatened Title IX respondent litigation.
She has also represented institutions in investigations relating to student complaints filed with the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights and the West Virginia Human Rights Commission. She has also provided counseling and advice on drafting and complying with policies and procedures under Title IX.
She also provides investigation services relating to allegations of discrimination, harassment, and employee misconduct. Julie is the Chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee and is a member of the firm’s Higher Education and Banking & Financial Services industry teams.
- Defended higher education institution against allegations of disability discrimination and failure-to-accommodate under the West Virginia Human Rights Act
- Represented business and technical institute in proceedings before the West Virginia Human Rights Commission regarding allegations of disability discrimination by a student
- Defended multinational banking and financial services corporation against allegations of age and sex discrimination in the context of a reduction-in-force
- Defended an aviation and aeronautics research company against allegations of disability discrimination and harassment under the West Virginia Human Rights Act
- Represented public higher education institution in approximately 75 employee grievances under the WV Public Employees Grievance Procedure, challenging disciplinary actions and/or alleging discrimination, harassment, and/or misclassification
- J.D. Duquesne University
- B.A. Washington & Jefferson College
- Leadersh,ip West Virginia, Class of 2018
- Defense Research Institute
- SHRM – North Central WV Chapter, President (2017-present)
- SHRM – Tri-State Chapter, Legal Liaison & Guest Lecturer (2011-present)
- Garrett County, MD HR Roundtable, Member & Guest Lecturer (2016-present)
- Monongalia County General Hospital Ball of the Year Attendee (2014, 2016)
Rate : $$$