Julie L. Young is a Partner in the Chicago office of Locke Lord LLP. Julie has served as an effective advocate in complex commercial litigation representing clients in many types of disputes, including commercial fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, false advertising and unfair business practices.
Julie has represented clients at all levels of federal and state courts throughout the country, arbitrations, mediations, and regulatory proceedings. Julie handles all phases of litigation, from pre-suit investigation and negotiation through trial.
Julie also has had significant experience representing clients in cases involving claims seeking temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions. Julie has defended and prosecuted numerous multi-million dollar cases through decision, both as a lead lawyer and as part of multi-lawyer teams in both jury and bench trials and in final arbitration hearings.
A large part of Julie’s practice involves the business of insurance and reinsurance. Julie has significant experience representing insurers, reinsurers, guaranty funds, and insurance pools. Many of these disputes have involved insurance regulatory matters. Julie also has experience with insurance insolvency and rehabilitation proceedings. Julie has handled matters across all lines of business, including property and casualty, life, and health insurance.
Julie regularly participates and speaks at industry seminars and conferences and writes on issues related to insurance, reinsurance, arbitration, and insurance insolvency. She has given presentations for Insurance Forum, Reinsurance Association of America, ARIAS-US, and National Conference of Insurance Guaranty Funds.
- Obtaining $18 million jury verdict for workers compensation insurer following week-long federal court trial in alter ego action
- Obtaining $9 million jury verdict for national insurance company following week-long federal court trial in breach of contract dispute with large commercial insured
- Obtaining $30 million arbitration award in breach of contract action on behalf of national insurance company following a week long hearing on the merits
- Defending a reinsurance company against claims of fraud by class action plaintiffs and insurance company receivers arising out of insolvencies
- Enforcing indemnity provisions contained in third-party administrator agreements in arbitration brought by insurance company
- Representing reinsurance company in $100 million dispute involving long term care insurance
Professional Affiliations : Member, Chicago Bar Association
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 2000
- B.A., with distinction, University of Michigan, 1997
Admissions : Illinois, 2000
Rate : $$$