Z.W. Julius Chen represents clients at all stages of appellate litigation. He is the principal drafter of dozens of brief filed in the U.S. Supreme Court and the federal courts of appeals, and he has argued cases in the the 6th, 9th, D.C., and Federal Circuits. He has also counseled clients on numerous briefs filed in trial courts nationwide.
Julius has been involved in many of the firm’s most significant matters concerning constitutional and Administrative Procedure Act challenges—particularly in the health care arena; high-stakes bankruptcy appeals on behalf of debtors and creditors; patent-related appeals arising out of both district court and inter partesreview proceedings; and litigation relating to an array of Indian law issues.
In addition, Julius maintains a wide-ranging appellate pro bonopractice in which he has represented major trade associations, national non-profit organizations, local governments, academics and incarcerated individuals.Previously, Julius served as editor-in-chief of the Columbia Law Review. He clerked for Judge Judith W. Rogers on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit and for Judge T.S. Ellis, III on the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Has particular experience relating to administrative and constitutional law, financial restructuring, intellectual property, Native American tribes and health care.
- Focuses his practice on federal and state appellate litigation.
- Successfully briefed and argued 9th Circuit appeal defending the Environmental Protection Agency’s final rule on behalf of a coalition of tribes and stakeholders.
- Successfully briefed 9th Circuit appeal arising out of a constitutional challenge to the Indian Child Welfare Act.
- Representing and advising a national trade organization in Affordable Care Act litigation.
- Successfully briefed and argued a D.C. Circuit appeal finding that the Federal Aviation Administration had constructively denied a pilot’s application.
- Representing a Florida death-row inmate in a Florida Supreme Court challenge to vacatur of sentence as unconstitutional.
- Representing FirstEnergy Corp. and affiliates in 6th Circuit bankruptcy appeals involving the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Successfully defended judgment and opposed petition for certiorari in a restructuring proceeding involving bankruptcy claims worth more than $500 billion dollars.
- Drafted successful Federal Circuit briefs on patentability, claim construction, invalidity, and ongoing royalty issues.
- Edward Coke Appellate Inn of Court.
- Georgetown Supreme Court Institute Moot Court Program.
- Federal Circuit Bar Association.
- J.D., Columbia Law School, with highest honors, 2009
- B.A., Princeton University, magna cum laude, 2005
- U.S.C.A., D.C. Circuit
- U.S.D.C., Eastern District of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- New York
Rate : $$$