Justin D. Balser serves as managing partner of Akerman’s Denver office. With experience as legal counsel at a mortgage originator and servicer, he works with financial institutions, mortgage lenders, loan servicers, and other credit related entities throughout the United States on consumer finance litigation and compliance matters.
Justin litigates federal and state consumer lending claims, loan repurchase, and mortgage fraud matters and works with state and federal regulatory agencies in investigating mortgage fraud and related issues. He also advises on operational compliance and regulatory issues and implementation of remediation strategies.
Prior to joining Akerman, Justin served as legal counsel and advisor to senior management at Lehman Brothers’ mortgage subsidiary, Aurora Loan Services LLC and its affiliated companies.
He was responsible for the repurchase litigation portfolio and negotiated multi-million dollar recoveries from loan sellers and mortgage brokers on claims of fraud and other commercial issues while managing counterparty risk and regulatory issues.
Justin managed hundreds of loan repurchase and loan servicing litigation matters throughout the United States, and managed a claim portfolio in excess of $1 billion as a creditor in numerous bankruptcy actions nationwide.
Prior to joining Lehman and Aurora, Justin successfully represented mortgage companies, loan servicers, and commercial clients in litigation throughout federal and state courts in California and Colorado.
Justin serves as a board member for Advocates for Children, a Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) organization serving counties south of Denver. He is also a board member for the Colorado Lawyers Committee, an organization creating and increasing opportunities for children, the poor, and other disadvantaged communities through advocacy, negotiation, and litigation.
Notable Work :
- Mabry v. Superior Court: Represented mortgage loan servicer as lead putative-class trial and appellate counsel in first impression review of California Civil Code section 2923.5.
- Pohl v. U.S. Bank, as trustee: Represented mortgage-backed securitization trustee and mortgage loan servicer in defense of first Colorado and 10th Circuit Truth-in-Lending Act rescission case post-Jesinoski v. Countrywide.
- Mbaku v. Bank of America, N.A.: Represented mortgage loan servicer in challenge to constitutionality of Colorado’s foreclosure statutes.
- Servicing Litigation: Represents national consumer credit servicing clients in litigation concerning state Homeowner Bill of Rights statutes, FDCPA, TCPA, TILA, and RESPA, and related state statutes and regulations.
- J.D., Whittier Law School, 2000
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1997
Bar Admissions : Arizona; California; Colorado; Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
Professional Experience :
- Lehman Brothers/Aurora Loan Services LLC, Colorado
Rate : $$$