Justin S. Nahama practices law differently. His practice centers on his core values of empowering and protecting others, giving back to the community, and leveraging battle-tested teams to spark meaningful change in the healthcare, fitness and technology industries.
After serving in the U.S. Marine Corps as a trial lawyer and trusted advisor to senior military commanders, Justin joined private practice.
Leveraging his extensive trial experience as Chief Prosecutor, passion for disruptive technologies, and background as a Division One athlete and CrossFit Games competitor, Justin developed a next-generation approach to protect businesses, entrepreneurs, investors and venture capital teams. He advises businesses in the healthcare, fitness, nutrition and technology arenas around the world.
With his unique ability to proactively anticipate and navigate conflict, coupled with his ability to consistently deliver outstanding results for clients, Justin quickly rose to the rank of partner at an AMLAW 100 law firm.
He was selected as a “Top Business Leader Under 40,” named as one of the “40 Under 40” attorneys influencing the San Diego business community and nationally recognized by Benchmark Litigation and chosen as a “Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star.”
Justin is particularly passionate about serving the veteran community. He currently serves as pro bono general counsel for The Honor Foundation, helping Navy SEALs and other Special Forces personnel successfully transition to the business community from active duty. In his free time, Justin enjoys traveling the world, working out with friends and surfing with his yellow lab and family.
Representative Matters :
- Successfully defended CrossFit, Inc., and its Founder, against defamation claims by facilitating a full and voluntary dismissal of all claims after identifying extensive discovery misconduct, recovering over $410,000 in related sanctions, and receiving an order allowing CrossFit to appoint a neutral forensic analyst to evaluate the scope of Plaintiff’s discovery misconduct.
- Assisted CrossFit, Inc. in various litigation matters including obtaining a Preliminary Injunction requiring a nutritional supplement company to remove certain content and videos related to exercise instruction from its website, YouTube, and social media based on a finding that the company’s trademark was likely to cause confusion with the CrossFit trademark.
- Assisted client specializing in veterinary website design with obtaining a $1 million judgment based on trademark infringement, cybersquatting, trade libel, malicious defamation and unfair competition.
- Represented United States Marine Corps Major in connection with an NCIS investigation into his civilian business practice; the investigation was closed and no charges were filed.
- Achieved favorable settlement for Leona Valley Winery in mediation asserting claims for trademark infringement, unfair business practices, interference with business relations, and trade libel.
- As Chief Prosecutor for the U.S. Marine Corps Western Recruiting Region, investigated and successfully prosecuted over 70 military proceedings and trials.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Created the “Veteran Entrepreneur Series: Starting and Growing Your Business” to empower military veterans to successfully start businesses.
- Outside counsel to The Honor Foundation, a unique transition institute created exclusively for Navy SEALs and the U.S. Special Operations community.
- Three-time CrossFit Games team competitor with three top five finishes.
Professional Experience :
- Captain, Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps, 2008-2012
- Law Clerk, US Attorneys Office for the District of Massachusetts, 2005
- Naval Justice School, Judge Advocate General’s Corp Certifications, 2009
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- Marist College, B.A., cum laude, 2004
BAR ADMISSIONS : California, Massachusetts
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Judge Advocate General of the Navy
Rate : $$$$