Clients seek Justin F. Paget’s advice in restructuring transactions and defending litigation involving business and consumer bankruptcy law. A strategic thinker and an experienced advocate on a range of creditors’ rights matters, Justin quickly learns clients’ business needs and proposes tailored solutions to resolving their complex disputes.
Justin has represented commercial banks, hedge funds, fintech and financial services companies, as well as corporate debtors, in navigating the complexities of the US Bankruptcy Code and its intersection with other federal and state commercial lending and consumer protection laws.
His diverse litigation background is built on experience defending bankruptcy claims litigation, avoidance and preference actions, single-plaintiff and class action consumer litigation, and commercial litigation and arbitration.
In addition, Justin has negotiated out-of-court loan workouts for financial institutions and hundreds of bankruptcy claims trades utilizing LSTA-based and bespoke documentation.
Justin is a frequent author of articles on bankruptcy topics relevant to financial institutions, having been published in the ABI Journal, Banking Law Journal, Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, and Texas Lawbook.
He clerked for the Honorable Robert G. Mayer, US Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Represented the Debtors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Xinergy Ltd.
- Represented the Debtors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of James Rivers Coal Company
- Represented the Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of The Free Lance-Star Publishing Co. of Fredericksburg, VA
- Represented the secured debt in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of AMF Bowling, Inc.
- Represented the Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Roomstore, Inc.
- Represented the second lien lenders in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of Workflow Management, Inc.
- Represented the Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 liquidation of Movie Gallery, Inc. et al.
- Represented the Creditors’ Committee in the Chapter 11 reorganization of Bear Island Paper Company
- Represented the Debtors in the Chapter 11 liquidation of Accredited Home Lenders Holding Company
- Defended mortgage lenders and servicers against claims of federal and state consumer law violations
- Defended claims buyer against mass bankruptcy claim objections alleging Bankruptcy Rules violations
- Represented secured creditor in an out-of-court restructuring of $17 million loan secured by commercial real estate development and $38 million revenue bonds issued by a community development authority
- Represented secured creditor in an out-of-court restructuring of $18 million commercial loan secured by mixed-use development also financed by $85 million in special assessments bonds issued by a community development authority
- JD, University of Richmond School of Law, magna cum laude, 2008
- MBA, University of Richmond, Robins School of Business, 2008
- BA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2003
- US Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Member, Bar Association of the City of Richmond
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, Builder’s Council, Habitat for Humanity, Richmond Chapter
Rate : $$$$