Justin E. Pierce is co-chair of Venable’s Intellectual Property Division. Justin has significant experience advising companies and their executives on how best to acquire, develop, and apply their intellectual property to achieve their business objectives.
He has guided clients through a wide range of matters involving patent litigation, trademark and brand protection, anti-counterfeiting initiatives, copyright, design rights, trade secrets, and licensing.
Justin is also well versed in strategies for handling rights of publicity, domain name, and social media disputes, and he routinely engages in international government affairs work involving intellectual property. Justin’s practice includes :
- Representing clients in litigation involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and advertising claims in a variety of industries, including apparel, consumer goods, electronics, food and beverage, footwear, media, mobile device, pharmaceutical, software, and telecommunications. Justin has handled cases in U.S. federal courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission
- Working with regulatory and law enforcement agencies in the United States and abroad to address counterfeiting issues. Justin has helped brand owners recover substantial damages through enforcement actions and litigation aimed at high-value counterfeiters, and worked with clients to facilitate the seizure and destruction of numerous counterfeit products
- Providing counsel regarding cross-border trade, customs, and outreach to foreign governments on intellectual property matters. Justin has worked with a number of U.S. agencies responsible for intellectual property and trade enforcement issues on behalf of clients
- Working with clients to maximize and better leverage the value of their intellectual property through licensing and other transactions. Justin has managed complex intellectual property licensing on an international scale in matters dealing with patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
Prior to joining Venable, Justin served as an in-house counsel to a major multinational corporation for a number of years. In this role, Justin led a government relations initiative that enhanced company intellectual property enforcement efforts in key markets around the world. This experience gave him substantial knowledge of the business and strategy issues that challenge executives and their in-house legal teams.
Justin is also an inventor who currently holds a patent and a number of published applications dealing with mobile applications, augmented and virtual reality, gaming, and anti-counterfeiting technology.
- Managed numerous intellectual property litigation matters on behalf of a major multinational mobile device manufacturer, including management of §337 patent litigation in the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), and intellectual property litigation in various U.S. federal district courts
- Representing the defendants in a patent lawsuit involving address handling within mobile devices. Case is ongoing. (Arendi S.A.R.L. v. Sony Mobile Communications, et al.)
- Representing the defendant in a patent lawsuit involving encryption and user authentication technologies in computers and mobile devices. Case is ongoing. (MAZ Encryption Technologies, LLC v. BlackBerry Corp.)
- Represented one of the defendants in a patent lawsuit involving form-based operating systems used in Internet-connected computing and mobile devices. (Cyberfone v. Cellco, et al.)
- Represented a major defense contractor and defended against an infringement action brought in the Court of Federal Claims, involving a patent related to the use of night vision goggles in conjunction with full-color cockpit displays. (Honeywell Int’l Inc. v. U.S.); 70 Fed. Cl. 424 (2006)
- Represented a major international digital publishing company in a government affairs and advocacy matter regarding international copyright law issues
- Managed international intellectual property and brand protection-related advocacy and government relations on behalf of a major multinational corporation
- J.D. George Washington University Law School 2000
- B.S. United States Military Academy at West Point 1992
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Co-authored the U.S. chapter in Anti-Counterfeiting 2016 – A Global Guide, published by the World Trademark Review
Rate : $$$