Justine M. Phillips is a partner in both Data Privacy & Security and Labor and Employment Practice Groups in the firm’s San Diego office. Justine focuses her practice on cybersecurity, data privacy, employment litigation and counseling, and commercial litigation.
Her representations involve every aspect of cybersecurity from information governance, diligence in acquisitions/investments, incident preparedness and response, drafting incident response plans and conducting breach simulations, to advising on California Consumer Privacy Act, responding to regulators, and defending companies in litigation relating to cyber events.
Justine takes a practical and thoughtful approach to assist multi-national and emerging companies on everyday issues related to electronically stored information including:
- privacy/security by design, cyber risk management and mitigation;
- eWorkforce policies;
- compliance with data regulations;
- retention/destruction policies and protocols;
- information-security and data privacy;
- crisis management and forensic investigations for data breaches;
- business email compromises;
- developing policies/protocols/trainings within an organization to create a culture of cyber-awareness;
- electronic discovery; and
- social-media issues.
Justine also founded Women in eDiscovery San Diego chapter, Life & Law, and frequently publishes and speaks on cyber-related issues. As an employment attorney, Justine handles commercial litigation for clients in the following public and private industries: cybersecurity and technology, healthcare, tribal, sporting enterprise, insurance, medical device, education, defense, cybersecurity, manufacturing, retail, non-profit and for-profit industries.
Justine also regularly advises clients on issues relating to: classification; leave policies; defense of ADA and FEHA disability discrimination claims; interactive process and reasonable accommodation; wage and hour matters; information management; social media; employment agreements; and employee handbooks. Justine has defended companies in both state and federal court against claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful dismissals.
- J.D., University of San Diego Law School, 2005, with honors
- B.A., University of San Diego, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Incident response and investigations related to loss of sensitive data or access by unauthorized users
- Prepare insider threat protection program and incident response policies/plans
- Handle high profile data breaches involving financial data, personally identifiable information and intellectual property
- Advise clients regularly on how to securely manage and store sensitive data
- Represent clients in B2B litigation related to Business Email Compromise
- Liaise with federal law enforcement related to client investigations for information security issues
- American Red Cross of San Diego/Imperial Counties – Board Member
- Couture for a Cause – Committee Member (2008-2010)
- Cybersecurity Institute of San Diego – Board Member
- Mother Attorney Mentoring Association of San Diego – Founding Member/Board of Directors (2007-2010) and Past President (2010)
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society – Woman of the Year Candidate (2014)
- San Diego ESI Forum – Board of Directors (2015) and Steering Committee Member
- Scripps Mercy Auxiliary – President
- Securing Our eCity Foundation – Co-Chair of Policy Committee (2014)
- Women in eDiscovery San Diego – Board of Directors (2015-2016) and Founding President (2009)
Rate : $$$