K. Magnus Karlberg is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Corporate & Securities department in New York where he focuses on US and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, buyouts, investments, divestitures, joint ventures and similar strategic partnerships as well as other corporate and securities law matters.
Magnus advises clients worldwide in a wide range of industries, including banking & insurance, life science & pharmaceuticals, chemicals, technology, transportation and energy & natural resources.
Magnus has been a secondee with the M&A departments of Nestlé S.A. in Switzerland and MetLife Inc. in New York. Magnus’s recent publications include: Mergers and Acquisitions in the US Insurance Sector, Lexis Practice Advisor, 2015, co-author with Edward Best and Lawrence Hamilton, Mayer Brown LLP.
Magnus is a guest lecturer at Fordham Law School and Gothenburg University Law School on mergers and acquisitions and private equity matters.
Magnus is also a member of the board of Youth for Understanding USA, Inc., an international educational non-profit founded in 1951 facilitating cultural exchanges for high school and college students around the world through a partner network covering more than 70 countries.
- Harvard Law School, LLM
- University of Gothenburg, JD, summa cum laude
- Universidad de Granada (Spain)
Admissions : New York
Activities : Board of trustees of Youth for Understanding USA, Inc.
- SCANA Corporation (NYSE: SCG) in the pending $14.6 billion all-stock acquisition by Dominion Energy, Inc.
- TransCanada Corporation in the divestiture of its U.S. Northeast Power business to affiliates of LS Power Equity Advisors and ArcLight Capital Partners, LLC.
- Global Atlantic Financial Group on the reinsurance of approximately $9 billion of fixed annuities and other spread-based reserves of Talcott Resolution, The Hartford’s run-off life and annuity businesses, in connection with The Hartford’s pending sale of Talcott Resolution.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in its acquisition of PrivateBancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: PVTB) for cash and stock consideration valued at approximately $5 billion.
- Everest Reinsurance Holdings, Inc. in the sale of Mt. McKinley Insurance Company to Clearwater Insurance Company, an affiliate of Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
- Assured Guaranty Ltd. in its $810 million acquisition of Radian Asset Assurance Inc., a US-based provider of financial guaranty insurance and reinsurance, from Radian Group Inc.
- Nestlé S.A. in its on-sale of Australian, South African and Latin American infant nutrition businesses to the Aspen Group.
- Nestlé Health Science in its license and collaboration transaction with Seres Therapeutics, Inc. for the development of biologics based on the human microbiome in certain indications. The transaction provides for an upfront payment to Seres of $120 million and contingent payments tied to development and sales milestones.
Rate : $$$