Kai Kramer is a member of the Tax Practice Group in the Firm’s Houston office. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie LLP, Mr. Kramer was a tax associate at another international law firm in Washington, DC where he handled tax matters related to a broad mixture of domestic and cross-border transactions across the energy, financial institution (including banks and insurance companies), pharmaceutical, and high-tech industries.
Mr. Kramer primarily advises US and multinational companies on domestic and international transactions and tax disputes. He has a broad range of experience in US federal income tax law, with an emphasis on mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, international tax planning, restructurings (corporate and partnership), spin-offs, joint ventures, and tax controversies.
Mr. Kramer also has significant experience in representing US and non-US issuers and underwriters with respect to tax matters related to debt and equity offerings.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. Taxation) (2006)
- University of Houston Law Center & Bauer College of Business (J.D., M.B.A. with Honors) (2005)
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A. cum laude) (2000)
- Texas Tech University (B.A.) (1995)
- District of Columbia~United States (2006)
- Texas~United States (2005)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Texas – Tax Section
- American Bar Association – Tax Section
- District of Columbia Bar – Tax Section
Representative Legal Matters:
- Represented an NYSE-listed financial services company in its acquisition of a FTSE-listed financial institution’s global investment arm for approximately USD13.5 billion.
- Represented an NYSE-listed pharmaceutical company in its approximately USD3.5 billion sale to a TSX-listed pharmaceutical company.
- Represented an NYSE-listed insurance company in its acquisition of a Chilean private pension fund administrator from a foreign financial institution for approximately USD2 billion.
- Represented an NYSE-listed pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of an injectables business from an Indian pharmaceutical company for approximately USD1.7 billion.
- Represented a French reinsurance company in its acquisition of an Italian insurance company’s US life reinsurance operations for approximately USD900 million.
Rate : $$$