Kan M. Nawaday is a seasoned trial and appellate lawyer. During nearly 9 years as a corruption and fraud prosecutor for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York, Kan tried 15 federal criminal jury trials, and briefed and argued numerous federal appeals.
He also led more than 100 investigations and prosecutions, including those involving corruption, bribery, and complex financial fraud; campaign finance fraud; bank, tax, and healthcare fraud; government contract fraud; money laundering; and art fraud.
At Venable, Kan conducts sensitive internal investigations, and defends clients in criminal and civil government enforcement actions and in complex litigation. Kan also has significant experience in the areas of asset seizures, judgment enforcement, and art fraud, including the seizure of two stolen Julian Fałat paintings, which were successfully returned to the Polish government.
Kan is often called upon as a corruption and fraud law commentator by national television news outlets and has appeared on CNN Tonight and Bloomberg TV.
Prior to his public service, Kan worked at a major international firm in New York City and at a boutique litigation firm, where he litigated multi-state product liability and commercial cases, and represented clients in private shareholder securities fraud cases and in government securities and antitrust investigations.
- Defended a nonprofit organization against allegations of mishandling of a sexual harassment investigation, resulting in an appellate defense verdict before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Defended a multi-billion-dollar company in parallel state and federal False Claims Act investigations
- Represented a witness in a state attorney general grand jury proceeding
- Represented employees of a company in a federal criminal investigation
- Led the prosecution and trial of a union president and a hedge fund founder in an approximately $20 million bribery scheme
- Led the prosecution of the CEO of a national ticket brokerage company for operating an approximately $70 million Ponzi scheme
- Led the prosecution of an attorney for participating in a multi-million-dollar bank fraud scheme involving numerous mortgages and properties
- Led the investigation of a campaign finance fraud scheme related to the campaign of a high-level public official.
- J.D. magna cum laude Cornell Law School 2003
- M.A. French Language Middlebury College 2000
- B.A. Comparative Literature Yale University 1996
Bar Admissions : New York
Clerk Experience : Honorable Richard J. Cardamone U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Professional Memberships :
- Corruption and fraud law commentator on national television news, appearing on CNN Tonight with Don Lemon and on Bloomberg TV with David Westin
- Frequently speaks on regulatory and criminal law matters, including matters relating to blockchain-based investment vehicles, cryptocurrency, and initial coin offerings.
Rate : $$$$