Kara Baysinger, co-leader of Dentons’ global Insurance Sector, has extensive experience in market conduct and sales practices (including multistate examinations and investigations), licensing, regulatory approvals, electronic commerce, transactional matters (including company formation, acquisitions, mergers and divestitures of insurance and non-insurance entities), reinsurance, cybersecurity, and product and market development issues.
She represents national and international insurance and reinsurance companies, insurance-related service companies, other financial services entities, e-business enterprises and state governments. She also has extensive experience working with traditional and Internet businesses on corporate transactional, licensing, strategic alliance and joint venture matters.
Prior to joining Dentons in 1998, Kara began her career by spending almost 10 years working in-house for insurance companies, responsible for product and contract development, regulatory compliance, agent licensing and contracting, reinsurance, corporate contracting, market conduct practices and examinations, insurance department complaints and government relations for 50 states.
She is also actively involved in leading the Firm’s Women’s Network. Since joining Dentons, Kara has continued to serve on numerous state and National Association of Insurance Commissioners advisory groups. During her career, Ms. Baysinger has advised and negotiated on behalf of clients in various matters, including, but not limited to:
- Negotiating and resolving hundreds of significant single and multistate market conduct examinations, investigations and inquiries on behalf of insurer clients
- Creating contracting/licensing procedures and contracts for insurance and other distribution and production entities, online and traditional insurance advertisements, sales tools and protocols, insurance products and contracts
- Negotiating complex reinsurance treaties and commutations and insurance entity transactions
- Developing market conduct procedures, audit and examination infrastructure and regulatory compliance protocols for health, life and property and casualty companies
Kara is a frequent speaker, author and cited authority on insurance issues and trends and is a recognized authority on insurance generally, including cybersecurity issues for insurers, and health, long-term care and disability income insurance issues in particular.
- Northwestern University, 2006, Women Director’s Program
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1994, JD
- University of Michigan, 1988, BA, Political Science
Admissions and qualifications:
- Board member, Insurance Regulatory Examiners Society Foundation
- Board member, Children’s Health Council, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland
- Board member, WorkLife Law at UC Hastings College of Law
- Board member, Kala, Inc., a technology company
- Former member of the California Bar Association’s Insurance Law Committee and chair of the Committee on Group Insurance Programs
Rate : $$$