Kara Cunningham Williams focuses her practice in the areas of energy transactions and utility law. With over 20 years’ experience in transactional, regulatory and litigation matters, she offers a seasoned, comprehensive approach geared to anticipating client needs and providing top quality, timely service.
Her transactional work includes acquisitions, divestitures and due diligence, as well as the negotiation and documentation of credit agreements. As a former Commissioner on the West Virginia Public Service Commission, she also brings high-level experience in areas such as utility rates, billing practices, quality of service, inter-utility agreements, property and financial transactions, and facility siting.
In addition, she has served as counsel to natural gas and oil pipelines in contract, real estate, and jurisdictional matters involving state and federal law; has represented coal industry interests in contract and other matters; and has significant experience in commercial litigation, with a focus on banking, financial services and complex commercial disputes. Williams also has served as an Adjunct Lecturer at the WVU College of Law.
- Leads collateral documentation teams for E&P, midstream and coal credit facilities
- Former member of State Commission responsible for supervising and regulating rates, services, operations, and other activities of public utilities
- Represented interstate pipeline company at FERC in multiple disputes with system co-owner over operating agreement, reciprocal lease, and interconnection agreement
- Represented client in contested administrative proceeding for approval needed to close $4.9 billion private equity acquisition
- J.D. Harvard University
- B.A. Washington & Lee
- Commissioner Emeritus, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC)
- Member, WV State Bar Committee on Unlawful Practice
- Generation Next/40 Under 40 Award, The State Journal
- Board of Directors, The Children’s Home Society of West Virginia, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Carnegie Hall, Inc.
- Washington & Lee University Alumni Association, Charleston WV Chapter
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2001
Rate : $$$