Karen N. Ballack is an intellectual property transactional attorney with emphasis on representing technology companies, particularly in the computer (hardware and software), Internet, semiconductor, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device industries.
Ms. Ballack has extensive experience in a wide variety of complex technology and intellectual property alliances and transactions. Representative matters include: licensing arrangements; research and development collaborations; joint ventures; strategic alliances and corporate partnering transactions; intellectual property acquisitions and divestitures; manufacture and supply arrangements; distribution and reseller arrangements; co‑marketing alliances; consulting and professional services agreements; and other arrangements involving the commercial exploitation of technology and intellectual property.
Ms. Ballack’s practice also includes providing intellectual property assistance in connection with private equity, M&A and other corporate transactions. Ms. Ballack is frequently engaged as a guest speaker on topics relating to technology and intellectual property transactions.
- Yahoo! in connection with a variety of Yahoo’s strategic technology and intellectual property collaborations, arrangements, acquisitions and divestitures and all technology and intellectual property aspects of over 30 of Yahoo’s M&A deals. Most recently, Ms. Ballack served as Yahoo’s lead intellectual property counsel on Yahoo’s highly publicized reverse spin-off of its operating business, auction sale of that business, and ~ $4.48 billion acquisition of that business by Verizon, as well as Yahoo’s transfer of approximately 4,000 patent assets to a new Yahoo subsidiary, Excalibur, for monetization purposes.
- Technology and intellectual property alliances, transactions, acquisitions and divestitures on behalf of Advanced Technology Investment Company, Applied Materials, ArthroCare, Cardinal Health, Getty Images, GLOBALFOUNDRIES, Illumina, Intel, Maxim Integrated, Micron Technology, Panasonic, PDL Biopharma, Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Texas Instruments, The Progeria Research Foundation, Trimble Navigation, United Way, Vonage, and Wind River Systems.
- Research and development collaborations involving technology companies, universities, and research institutions.
Ms. Ballack is actively involved with the Firm’s diversity and pro bono efforts. She is also a member of the Board of Directors of The Progeria Research Foundation.
- San Diego State University (B.S., summa cum laude, 1981)
- University of San Francisco (J.D., 1986)
- US Court of Appeals 9th Cir.
- Central District California
- Northern District California
Rate : $$$$