One of only about 200 lawyers in Florida certified by The Florida Bar as a specialist in Labor & Employment law, Karen M. Buesing has been representing and counseling employers in employment law matters since 1982. She represents management in litigation before local, state, and federal agencies, state and federal courts, and arbitration panels.
Described by Chambers USA as “passionate about helping her clients,” Karen’s clients value not only her wealth of experience in litigation proceedings, but also the day-to-day guidance, advice, and training she provides on workplace issues. Karen is a Fellow of the prestigious College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
Karen’s experience includes discrimination and harassment claims, investigation, and litigation; whistleblower litigation; wage and hour litigation; non-compete and trade secret litigation; employment contract negotiation and litigation; litigation of fiduciary obligations; litigation of minority shareholder/partner disputes in closely held entities; and all aspects of employment counseling and training.
Additionally, Karen assists health care providers, financial institutions, and others in complying with their obligations to customers, patients, and companions who have hearing or other disabilities or are of Limited English Proficiency, including development of Section 504 compliance plans, ADA compliance plans and training programs, and representation in investigations, administrative proceedings and lawsuits regarding alleged violations.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1982, with honors
- B.S., University of Florida, Journalism and Communications, 1975, with high honors
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2017
- Federal Bar Association, Tampa Bay Chapter, Board of Directors, January 2012-2013
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow, 2011-Present
- American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section, EEO Committee, National Conferences on Employment Law, Program Co-Chair/Moderator/Presenter, 2001-2003, 2005-2008, and 2012-2014
- The Florida Bar, Labor & Employment Board Certification Review, Moderator/Presenter, Co-Chair, 2003, 2005-2006, 2009-2010
- American Bar Association, EEO Committee, Labor & Employment Section, Employer Co-Chair, 2008-2010
- Federal Judicial Center Law Clerk Training Program, Joint Project of ABA CLE Committee/Labor & Employment Section, Management Chair, 2006-2008
- American Bar Association “Fair Measure,” ABA Commission on Women, ABA Labor & Employment Section, Management Representative, 2006-2008
- Prosperity Campaign, Hillsborough & Pinellas Counties, Co-Chair, 2004-2006
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section, Board of Directors, 1992-1996
- The Florida Bar, Labor & Employment Section, ABA Liaison Committee, Past Chair
Rate : $$$