With extensive experience representing a wide variety of businesses and entrepreneurs, Karen S. Hockstad is adept at counseling clients through a variety of transactional and tax matters. She also has experience guiding her clients through litigation, having represented clients in state and federal cases throughout the country.
Her unique background enables her to see and help avoid potential litigation issues in business transactions. Her business and tax knowledge is an asset in helping her commercial litigation clients.
Karen’s experience in the corporate world enables her to advise clients on a variety of issues, including mergers and acquisitions, as well as business structuring and other transactional and organizational matters.
She also has handled numerous tax controversies with the IRS and litigated matters in the U.S. Tax Court. Karen advises clients on compliance with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and related state and federal laws and regulations regarding consumer protection and privacy.
She is a seasoned litigator with diverse experience, having represented clients in matters ranging from commercial and employment litigation to intellectual property matters and unfair trade laws.
She has more than 10 years experience defending Internet marketing companies in federal and state litigation relating to the Ohio Consumer Sales Practice Act and internet advertising and has obtained a thorough knowledge of the evolving world of telemarketing and collections law, including CAN-SPAM, the TCPA, and FTC regulations serving as lead counsel in dozens of cases involving the TCPA.
- Capital University School of Law (LL.M., 1994)
- Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University
- University of Michigan (B.A., 1987)
Bar Admissions : Ohio, Michigan
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Ohio State Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section Council, chair
- Tim Horton’s Children’s Foundation, Fundraising Committee, past member
- Kiwanis Club of Downtown Columbus
- University of Michigan Alumni Association of Central Ohio
Rate : $$$$