During her 20 years of practice in employee benefits, Karen D. Martinez has focused on advising clients on various aspects of the design, implementation and compliance issues relating to health and welfare benefits. Ms. Martinez has advised clients of all sizes with respect to COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA, tax and ERISA issues with respect to group health plans, severance plans, cafeteria plans and VEBAs. She also has significant experience with qualified plans and benefit issues related to mergers and acquisitions. She is AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell.*
* CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure’s standards and policies.
- Counsel a life sciences and materials sciences company in compliance and design issues relating to medical and other welfare benefits for active employees and retirees; HIPAA privacy compliance; COBRA, FMLA and cafeteria plan rules; and administrative service agreements.
- Counsel a natural gas distributor on compliance issues relating to health and welfare plans, employee communications and reporting requirements.
- Counsel a leading cancer health organization on federal laws impacting group health and welfare plans.
- Advise a direct seller of automation and industrial control products in connection with federal laws impacting health and welfare plans and with 401(k) plan compliance.
- Counsel to large employers with respect to all aspects of implementation and compliance issues for health plans, including HSAs and HRAs.
- Counsel to several employers relating to HIPAA privacy and security issues.
- New York University School of Law, J.D. (1989)
- Dartmouth College, A.B. (1986)
- Georgia (1992)
Rate : $$$$