Karl M. Zielaznicki is a member of the Corporate and Intellectual Property practices at Troutman Sanders in New York City specializing in transactional intellectual property law, trademark counseling and intellectual property agreements.
He has served as lead intellectual property counsel representing numerous clients on intellectual property securitization issues in connection with revolving and term credit facilities and business transactions such as mergers and acquisitions.
His trademark experience includes US and foreign trademark/domain name clearance, prosecution, protection and portfolio management.
He has conducted and reported hundreds of availability searches and filed thousands of successful trademark applications for his diverse client base which includes companies in the following areas: housewares, health and beauty, jewelry, clothing and footwear (including luxury goods), entertainment, sports, pharmaceuticals, nutritional supplements, telecommunications, food and beverage, hand and power tools, tobacco, staffing, real estate and financial services.
Karl has counseled clients on anti-counterfeiting initiatives and represented clients directly in connection with counterfeiting and grey market matters before US Customs. He also regularly represents clients in related advertising review and compliance matters.
He has extensive experience negotiating and drafting complex intellectual property agreements including joint development and venture agreements, licensing agreements, information management and co-branding agreements.
His experience also includes counseling clients on information management issues and internet scams such as phishing.
Representative Matters :
- Representation of UK Lender in connection with the refinancing of the securitization of David Bowie music publishing and masters catalog rights (the “Bowie Bonds”).
- Representation of the Lender as Administrative Agent in connection with a secured revolving credit and letter of credit facility to an NHL team.
- Representation of Lender in connection with a secured credit facility to the world’s largest producer, importer and distributor of wines & spirits bearing kosher certification.
- Representation of largest US independent animation distributor and marketing company in connection with secured credit facility.
- Representation of a national specialty retailer of kitchenware and related products in connection with a syndicated secured letter of credit facility.
- Representation of multi-faceted entertainment production company in connection with merger with Canadian investor group.
- Representation of global food retailer in connection with acquisition of Southeastern food retailer chains.
- Representation of new formed entity in connection with the acquisition (roll-up) of multiple high quality contract manufacturers in the medical device industry and related financing.
Professional and Community Involvement : International Trademark Association
- New York Law School, J.D., 1987
- New York University, B.A., 1982
BAR ADMISSIONS : New Jersey, New York
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Rate : $$$