Karol A. Kepchar assists clients in implementing an efficient, cost-effective, process-based approach to managing and leveraging intellectual property (IP) assets through litigation and licensing programs. She advises clients on a wide variety of issues, including:
- Licenses and other strategic agreements
- Trademark, copyright and domain name litigation in federal courts
- TTAB proceedings
- ICANN UDRP arbitration procedures
- Cybersecurity, privacy and data security issues.
Her experience includes litigation, licensing and IP strategy in corporate restructuring and acquisitions.Karol has handled more than 100 opposition, cancellation and concurrent use proceedings before the TTAB of the USPTO.
Notably, she represented the opposer in the first opposition sustained by the TTAB on the ground of federal trademark dilution after dilution became a ground for opposition in 1999.She has handled dozens of ICANN UDRP and ACPA cybersquatting cases and is frequently sought out as a speaker on cybersquatting and search engine marketing abuses.
- Has handled more than 100 opposition, cancellation and concurrent use proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Practice centers on trademark, copyright, Internet, unfair competition and anticounterfeiting law.
- DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, Inc. v. UnitedStates (Fed. Cl. 2016).
- Selective Insurance Group, Inc. v. MetLife(D. N.J. 2015).
- Abreon, Inc. v. Caveo Learning Center, Inc.(N.D. Ohio 2014).
- Stevenson v. HomeAway, Inc. ( 2013).
- HomeAway, Inc. v. Airbnb, Inc. (W.D. Tx. 2013).
- Skyline Design, Inc. v. McGrory Glass, Inc. (N.D. Ill. 2012).
- The Coca-Cola Company v. Pepsico(E.D. TX 2010).
- The Nasdaq Stock Market Inc. v. Antartica Srl(TTAB 2003).
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Member, U.S. Copyright Society.
- Member, International Anticounterfeiting Coalition.
- Member, International Trademark Association.
- J.D., Temple University School of Law, with honors, 1992
- B.A., Bryn Mawr College, with honors, 1984
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$