Kat Saunders Gregor is a tax partner and co-founder of the Tax Controversy Group. Kat regularly handles disputes with the IRS and other administrative bodies, and assists clients in managing disputes with non-U.S. tax authorities.
Kat represents public companies, private investment funds, institutional investors, private companies and high net worth individuals before the IRS, U.S. Tax Court, U.S. Court of Federal Claims and other federal and state courts.
Kat’s practice encompasses a wide range of partnership and international tax issues, with a focus on the asset management and life sciences industries. Kat advises private investment fund managers on structuring and launching funds, and has worked extensively on fund investment and secondary transactions. She also represents public and private clients in ongoing tax issues, as well as merger, acquisition and restructuring transactions.
Kat previously practiced as a CPA with PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, where she advised venture capital funds and their portfolio companies on tax compliance, planning, and controversy matters.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2005
- BS (Accounting), magna cum laude, Georgetown University, 2000
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2009
- New York, 2006
- Massachusetts, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Tax Court, 2008
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS : Member, Tax Editorial Board, Law360 (2018)
- Representing a large hedge fund in ongoing proceedings in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the U.S. Tax Court and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Lead counsel representing a client before the U.S. Tax Court in a dispute regarding administrative due process.
- Lead counsel for a charitable estate in a U.S. Tax Court dispute regarding the decedent’s taxable income, achieving a favorable resolution through a referral to the IRS Appeals Office.
- Representing several pharmaceutical and medical device companies in IRS examinations following regulatory settlements with the FDA, DOJ and SEC.
- Represented a large U.S.-based software company in an IRS appeal regarding the deductibility of management fees paid to private equity sponsors; represented several portfolio companies in similar disputes at the IRS examinations level.
- Represented numerous clients before the IRS, state and local revenue agencies, and non-U.S. tax administrative bodies.
- Advised NSTAR, a gas and electricity company, in its merger with Northeast Utilities, which created one of the nation’s largest utilities (with a total enterprise value of $17.5 billion).
- Advised multiple large private equity firms, hedge funds and strategic investors making investments in traditional, emerging and frontier markets.
Rate : $$$$