Ms. Katharine Batista is a Labor & Employment attorney that assists her clients when deciding issues like: If my employee has exhausted her FMLA leave and remains out, am I required to hold her position open? Can I terminate my employee for testing positive for marijuana? Will this non-compete agreement be enforced? She helps her clients answer these and similar questions, and vigorously defends their decisions.
She represents businesses, such as restaurants, hotels, banks, retailers and health care providers, in the spectrum of employment and labor claims. Specifically, Ms. Batista successfully defends employers against claims of discrimination and harassment, retaliation, wrongful terminations and wage and hour violations. An employee’s post-separation conduct often requires legal advice and action too.
Ms. Batista commonly represents her clients in bringing actions for breach of restrictive covenants and contractual interference, as well as defends them against such claims. Employment and labor law is ever changing. Employers need to feel secure in how they manage their employees so they can focus on their business. Ms. Batista affords her clients that security.
Ms. Batista serves on the Board of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of the Society of Human Resources Management where she plans the programming and presents on employment law topics. In 2017 and 2018, Ms. Batista was selected by SuperLawyers to the 2017 and 2018 Pennsylvania Rising Stars list.
Before joining Offit Kurman, Ms. Batista worked at a national employment and labor law firm, representing management exclusively. During her tenure there, Ms. Batista completed a secondment as the only in-house employment and labor counsel at a global chemical, science and engineering company.
Ms. Batista also practiced general litigation at a prominent mid-sized firm in Stamford, Connecticut. Before entering private practice, Ms. Batista clerked at the Connecticut Appellate Court for the Honorable Richard A. Robinson, now Connecticut Supreme Court Justice.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D, Magna Cum Laude
- University of Connecticut, B.A., English
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Board Member of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of SHRM
- UConn Alumni Board, Philadelphia
- Junior League of Philadelphia
- Chief Articles Editor of the Suffolk Transnational Law Review
Rate : $$$$