Katherine M. Basile is highly regarded in her field, with a practice that encompasses all aspects of trademark law – from trademark and brand creation to trademark litigation. Her unique combination of private practice and in-house counsel experience allows her to provide strategic and targeted advice that is simultaneously comprehensive and pragmatic. Her in-house experience managing famous and unusual trademarks gave her a truly international perspective and practice.
Katy continues in her long-standing role as primary outside counsel responsible for famous brands worldwide, advising on trademark clearance, prosecution and related transactional matters domestically and worldwide.
Katy also litigates trademark infringement and unfair competition actions in federal and regularly practices before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She has extensive experience managing multi-jurisdictional disputes and has successfully used ADR proceedings to settle numerous trademark cases to her clients’ satisfaction.
The 2015 WTR 1000 reports that Katy’s clients observe that “she has been able to secure favourable outcomes for us over and over again,” and that Katy “brings extensive in-house and commercial litigation experience to bear on her prosecution and enforcement practice. Responsible for trademarks in over 2000 jurisdictions, she has a truly global outlook which no doubt contributes to her faultless track record.”
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, 1987, J.D., Order of the Coif
- University of California, Irvine, 1980, B.A., German
- University of California, Irvine, 1982, B.S., Biology
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court – Central District of California
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of California
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association
- IP Inns of Court
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- INTA Presidential Task Force Member on Committee Structure, Participation and Function, 2015
- INTA Saul Lefkowtiz Moot Court, National Chair, 2012-2013
- Successfully represented Abercrombie & Fitch in multi-jurisdictional trademark matters including successful resolutions in the United Kingdom and Japan.
- Defended The North Face Apparel Corp. in trademark infringement action over its use of the mark A5 in Northern District of California, resulting in favorable settlement for client.
- Represented Opposer Autodesk in an opposition proceeding involving the REVIT trademark before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, resulting in a favorable settlement for client.
- Represented plaintiff GE Healthcare in trademark infringement and unfair competition action, obtaining an ex parte TRO, against competitor in Northern District, Illinois, resulting in favorable settlement for client
Rate : $$$$