Katherine A. Betcher focuses her practice on internal investigations, complex civil litigation, a range of securities enforcement and regulatory matters, compliance counseling, and white-collar criminal defense.
In addition to her extensive experience on matters in connection with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, UK Bribery Act, and other anti-corruption and anti-bribery issues, Kate also has significant experience representing a managed care organization on matters involving state and federal false claims laws, anti-kickback laws, and issues related to Medicare Advantage and risk adjustment.
To help anticipate and prevent conflicts before they arise, Kate spends time getting to know her clients and their businesses. Kate also ensures she is fully informed on industry trends and current regulatory enforcement practices, so that she may better address her clients’ needs and craft effective resolutions to the issues at hand.
She represents wide variety of clients, from individuals, to financial institutions, to Fortune 100 companies. In addition to her practice, Kate dedicates significant time to pro bono work.
Together with the ACLU of Nevada, the ACLU National Federation, and a former Federal Public Defender in Las Vegas, Kate recently filed a civil rights class action lawsuit against the State of Nevada and Governor to challenge the State’s provision of criminal counsel to indigent defendants.
- Representing a health plan in an internal investigation related to the plan’s compliance with the False Claims Act’s overpayment rules
- Representing a health plan in connection with an internal investigation related to conflicts of interest and potential kickbacks
- Representing a former executive in litigation and related government investigations concerning allegations of securities fraud involving one of the largest energy companies in the United States
- Representing a major financial institution in multiple government investigations of foreign bribery relating to hiring, training, and entertainment practices
- Represented a major financial institution in government investigations concerning catastrophe bond issuances
- Represented a major financial institution in government investigations relating to inter-dealer broker commissions
- Represented a financial institution in an internal investigation into the practices of a foreign portfolio company
- Represented a concert promoter in a federal and state civil rights action during a multi-week jury trial in the US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Represented an individual in various investigations regarding the foreign exchange trading activities of a major bank
- Represented an individual in government investigation related to stranger-owned life insurance policy investments
- New York
- US Department of Veterans Affairs
- US District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, and Central District of California
- Rutgers University, J.D.: summa cum laude; Order of the Coif; co-editor-in-chief, Women’s Rights Law Reporter; Carol and Paul Miller Scholar; teaching assistant, legal research and writing; Moot Court Board; ALI-ABA Scholarship and Leadership Award; Carol A. Russ Memorial Prize for Commitment to and Promotion of Women’s Rights Through the Law
- Reed College, B.A., Linguistics
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York
Rate : $$$