A formidable appellate litigator, Katherine E. Giddings has represented companies in numerous high-stakes civil and administrative appeals and bar ethics issues in state and federal courts nationwide.
Kathi’s diverse appellate work ranges from a sanctions appeal arising out of an oil and gas venture, in which claimed damages were $1.15 billion, to one disputing the legality of the Florida Department of Revenue’s statewide tax on commercial leasehold improvements. Kathi has represented market leaders from numerous sectors in appellate matters, including satellite television, retail, insurance, real estate, and healthcare.
In conjunction with her appellate practice, Kathi monitors in-house counsel and related litigation management issues nationally. This includes issues governing the tripartite relationship between insurers, insureds, and defense counsel; bad faith; and the unauthorized practice of law.
She also serves as national ethics counsel for a number of major insurance companies and has appeared throughout the country in cases involving ethical issues impacting her insurance clients.
Before entering private practice, Kathi served as a staff attorney to Florida Supreme Court Justice Ben F. Overton for seven years. She is a past chair of the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration Committee, which governs administrative matters in all Florida appellate and trial courts.
Kathi is also a past chair of the Appellate Court Rules Committee, served as a steering committee member for several editions of The Florida Bar’s Appellate Practice CLE Manual, is a trustee of the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals’ Historical Society, and previously served a four-year term on the First District Court of Appeals Judicial Nominating Commission via appointment by the governor.
- J.D., Florida State University College of Law, with high honors (5th in class), Florida State University Law Review, Executive Writing Editor
- B.S., Florida State University, cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- The Florida Bar:
- Rules of Judicial Administration Committee, Past Member and Chair
- Appellate Practice Section, Member
- Administrative Law Section, Member
- CLE Committee on Insurance Staff Counsel Rules of Professional Conduct, Past Member and Chair
- Drafting Subcommittee for Florida’s Statement of Insured Client’s Rights, Past Member
- Appellate Court Rules Committee, Past Member and Chair
- Eleventh Circuit Historical Society, Board of Trustees, 2013-present
- Tallahassee Women Lawyers, Past Secretary; Past Employment Chair
- Tallahassee Bar Association, Member
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Member
- First District Court of Appeal Appellate Inn of Court, Founding Executive Committee Member; Treasurer 2008-2016; Alumni 2016-present
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Member
Rate : $$$$