Katherine O’Konski represents energy industry clients in administrative proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). She focuses her practice on wholesale energy market design issues, tariff disputes, and interconnection issues.
She has also acted as counsel to utility clients in transmission rate cases and has advised clients on compliance with FERC’s anti-market manipulation rules as well as the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act. Kat brings to Troutman Sanders extensive experience in federal administrative litigation as well as energy and environmental policy issues.
During law school, she worked as a law clerk in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Environment and Natural Resources Division and in the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, Subcommittee on Water and Wildlife. Prior to law school, Kat worked at a Washington, D.C. non-profit focused on federal energy and environmental policy.
Kat graduated cum laude from the University of Maryland School of Law, where she served on the school’s Moot Court Board, as Articles Editor for the Maryland Law Review, and as Treasurer for the Maryland Environmental Law Society.
She received the William P. Cunningham Award in recognition of her exceptional achievements and service to the school. After law school, Kat worked as an appellate law clerk to the Honorable Douglas R.M. Nazarian, former Chair of Maryland’s Public Service Commission.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Energy Bar Association
- Women’s Council on Energy and the Environment
- Women’s Energy Network
Professional Experience :
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Douglas R.M. Nazarian (former chair of Maryland Public Service Commission), Maryland Court of Special Appeals, 2015-2016
- Law Clerk, Environment and Natural Resources Division, U.S. Department of Justice, 2014
- Legal Intern to Senator Ben Cardin (D-MD), Subcommittee on Water and Wildlife, U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, 2013
- Legal Intern, Defenders of Wildlife, May-August 2013
- Research Associate, Climate Science Watch, 2011-2012
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., cum laude; Recipient, William P. Cunningham Award (for exceptional achievements and school service), 2015, Certificate in Environmental Law; Member, Moot Court Board; Articles Editor, Maryland Law Review; Treasurer, Maryland Environmental Law Society
- McGill University, B.A., 2011, Environment and Economic Development
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia, Maryland
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$