Kathleen S. Hardway, co-chair of Venable’s Product Liability and Mass Torts Group, represents pharmaceutical, vaccine, and medical device manufacturers in product liability and mass tort litigation in state and federal courts nationwide.
She has also represented chemical and consumer products manufacturers in personal injury cases, and premises owners and property managers in mold exposure, “sick building,” and lead paint cases. Kathleen has been part of multiple national representations in mass tort proceedings for pharmaceutical companies.
She has worked with numerous attorneys from around the country to coordinate overall strategy and the day-to-day handling of individual cases, and managed the development of a sales and marketing and regulatory company case – including preparing company witnesses for deposition.
She has also developed and worked with experts in the areas of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, endocrinology, genetics, neurology, neuroradiology, orthopedic surgery, allergy and immunology, epidemiology, virology, immunology, geriatrics, and pain management.
Kathleen has managed all aspects of medical device cases involving allegations of wrongful death or serious injury, including expert development; factual analysis and development of the company case; expert, corporate, and fact witness depositions; dispositive and Daubertmotions practice; and pre-trial preparation.
She has had primary responsibility for expert and scientific development in the fields of biomedical engineering, human factors engineering, pediatric neurology, pediatric psychology, pediatric cardiology, nursing, toxicology, and forensic pathology.
- Representing a vaccine manufacturer in nationwide litigation involving allegations that the vaccine did not prevent its intended illness, but rather, increased the likelihood of contracting the virus, if taken. Leads expert development team and contributes to overall litigation strategy and case management
- Represented a vaccine manufacturer in a False Claims Act case. Prepared and defended several company witnesses and developed, deposed, and defended numerous expert witnesses
- Represented a manufacturer of an osteoporosis medication in nationwide litigation involving allegations that the medication causes osteonecrosis of the jaw and atypical femur fractures, including developing experts and preparing company witnesses for depositions related to sales and marketing
- Represented a vaccine manufacturer in a personal injury case involving allegations that a vaccine caused plaintiff’s significant neurological injuries; prepared company witnesses for deposition and developed, deposed, and defended numerous expert witnesses
- Partner responsible for defense of case involving allegations of brain damage to a pediatric patient due to infusion pump use, resulting in favorable resolution for the manufacturer
- Handled more than 15 cases alleging wrongful death or serious injury involving a patient-controlled analgesic pump; all cases resulted in dismissals for the manufacturer
- J.D.University of Maryland School of Law1997
- B.A.Political Sciencecum laudeBucknell University1992
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Maryland
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Venable Evaluations Committee, 2013 – 2018
Rate : $$$