Kathleen J. Wu’s real estate transactions practice has a broad wingspan, crossing multiple industries and disciplines, serving a national clientele from Wall Street to California.
Her clients include private and public companies, hotel chains, governmental authorities, investment banks, syndicators, real estate developers, lenders, loan servicers, and other entities involved in the construction, sale, financing, servicing, leasing and management of real property and other related assets. Consequently, Kathleen has sat at just about every conceivable seat at the real estate table, giving her a valuable perspective on all the moving parts in a deal—a perspective she consistently uses to her clients’ advantage.
Kathleen is known for a sophisticated understanding of her clients’ businesses, successfully guiding them through the execution of legal and business matters, and anticipating and planning for what might be needed as an issue evolves.
Clients appreciate her energy, innovative thinking, and calm demeanor as she develops strategy and facilitates the “end game.” Her reputation as a trusted advisor has attracted a loyal and far-reaching audience for her work and insights.
She is consistently recognized by her colleagues and the media for her outstanding work, including being featured in Super Lawyers and D Magazine as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas every year since 2003.
In addition, she was named one of Texas Lawyer’s Extraordinary Women in Texas Law and one of Dallas’ Top 50 Women in Law by the National Diversity Council.
Kathleen’s advocacy for diversity and inclusion has earned her many awards, including the Women of Color Achievement Award from the 100 Black Men of America, “Women of Spirit” Award from the American Jewish Congress, and the Justice David Wellington Chew Award from the State Bar of Texas.
In addition, she serves on the board of directors of the United States Tennis Association (USTA) Foundation and sits on the Board of Directors and Management Committee of USTA Texas, and serves as its General Counsel.
- Represented multiple institutional lenders with the financing of mortgage and mezzanine loans totaling over $3.6 billion secured by 30+ properties and review of additional potential collateral.
- Represented a leading real estate investment company in connection with the $2.155 billion acquisition of a pool of 135+ warehouse properties across the United States.
- Represented a privately owned hedge fund and its affiliates as lender, and a commercial real estate finance company as special servicer, in connection with representation for review of material leases and other agreements affecting property securing the loan package of 800+ retail and department stores, as well as negotiation of subordination, non-disturbance, and attornment agreements and related documentation requests with national tenants.
- Represented a financial institution offering commercial real estate and multifamily financing and servicing as national workout counsel in connection with a series of disputes involving Section 42 Affordable Tax Credit housing projects and concluded with a favorable result for our client, including an early exit and full recovery of anticipated investment return.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with the financing of a $647.5 million loan secured by 53 hotel properties located across the county.
- Represented a real estate investor in connection with the acquisition of 17 data center and development properties in California, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Illinois, Minnesota and Oregon.
- Represented an alternative investment management firm in connection with the $174 million purchase of two office towers located in Dallas, Texas.
- Represented an affiliate of a financial institution with the restructuring of the cash flow requirements of three luxury hotels located in Times Square, New York, Miami, Florida, and Washington DC. The properties roll up to Qatari entities and the transaction involved an in-depth analysis of KYC requirements. and documentation of collateral and cash management documents.
- Represented an institutional lender in connection with the origination of a $100+ million construction loan secured by a condominium in New York and subsequent purchase of the loan.
- Represented an investment management firm in connection with $65 million purchase of a loan secured by an office property 100 percent occupied by a leading technology company located in Bellevue, Washington.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with the workout of a private wealth loan secured by real property, equity interests in various exploration companies and other holding companies, certificated racehorses and other collateral.
- Represented a premier lodging real estate company in connection with the acquisition of a hotel in San Antonio, Texas, which included the negotiation of interim ground lease provisions and restrictive covenants, coordination of a plat of the property, and all other documentation relating to the acquisition.
- Represented a financial institution offering commercial real estate and multifamily financing and servicing as national workout counsel in connection with the removal of the general partner interests in 16 low-income housing tax credit properties in California with our client as investor limited partner.
- Represented a restaurant operator, as member and manager, in connection with formation of, and negotiation of the operating agreement governing, a limited liability company which will serve as the holding entity (and sole member and manager) of various operating companies.
- Represented a financial institution in connection with the $87.75 million sale of a 600-unit apartment complex in Dallas, Texas.
- Represented a real estate investor in connection with the $763.75 million acquisition of 105 hotel and motel properties and associated mortgage and mezzanine debt totaling $530 million.
- Represented a multinational materials technology company as owner and developer, with drafting and negotiation of pipeline easement agreements with multiple adjacent landowners required for the construction, installation (by horizontal directional drilling as well as traditional means), operation and maintenance of various above-ground and underground pipeline facilities.
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, 1985
- BA, Columbia University, 1982
- New York
- Member, International Women’s Forum, appointed 2018
- Board of Regents, Texas Women’s University, appointed 2018
- Vice President, United States Tennis Association Foundation, elected 2018; Board of Directors, appointed 2015–2019
- Corporate Advisory Board of Directors, US Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce – Southwest, 2017–2019
- Board of Directors, ReBuilding Together, 2017–2019; Chairman, Development Committee, 2017-2019
- Board of Directors, The Arts Community Alliance (TACA), appointed 2017; Chairman, Vibrancy in the Arts Committee, 2018-2019; Member, Nominating Committee, 2018
- Board of Directors, The Dallas Citizens Council, appointed to 2016–2019 (membership by invitation only)
- General Counsel, United States Tennis Association Texas, appointed 2007–2019; Member, Management Committee and Board of Directors, 2007–2019; Vice President, 2011–2014
- Tate Lecture Series Board of Directors, Southern Methodist University, appointed 2014–2019
- Member, Dallas Regional Chamber Education & Workforce Committee, appointed 2018-2019
- Member, The Women Presidents’ Organization (membership by invitation only)
- Member, Women’s Leadership Exchange (Southwest Board)
- Regional Selection Judge, The President’s Committee on White House Fellowships, 2012–2017
- Board of Directors, United States Tennis Association, appointed 2015–2016
- Member, Bias Interrupters Working Group, sponsored by the American Bar Association Commission on Women, Center for WorkLife Law and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association, 2016 (membership by invitation only)
- Member, The Dallas Summit, 2014-2019; Member, Nominating Committee, appointed 2014–2015 (membership by invitation only)
- Member, The Dallas Assembly, 2013-2019; Board of Directors, appointed 2013–2016 (membership by invitation only)
- Member, Executive Committee, Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section, New York State Bar Association, 2010–2018
- Co-Chair, Sports Law Committee, New York State Bar Association, 2010–2018
- Advisory Board, Dallas Tennis Association, 2018-2019; Board of Directors, 2012-2012; Member, 2015-2018
- Founding Member, Center for Women in Law, University of Texas School of Law (membership by invitation only)
- Chairman, United States Tennis Association National Diversity and Inclusion
- Committee, 2012–2014; Vice Chairman, 2010, 2011
- Member, United States Tennis Association Advisory Group on Committees, 2013–2014
- Member, United States Tennis Association National Constitution and Rules Committee, 2008–2010
- Member, City of Dallas Judicial Nominating Commission, appointment by the Dallas City Council, 2007–2009
- Member, Nominating Committee, Girls Inc., 2008
- Member, Dallas County Hospital District Blue Ribbon Master Capital Plan Advisory Committee, appointed by the Dallas County Commissioners Court, 2005–2007
- Former Member, The Board Connection (membership by invitation only)
- Member, Executive Committee and Board of Directors, Texas Cultural Trust Council, 2005–2008
- Member, Greenhill School Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, 2004–2010
- Member, State Bar of Texas Women in the Profession Committee, 2008–2010
- Member, State Bar of Texas Task Force on Women and Minorities, appointed in 2006 by the State Bar of Texas
- Co-Honorary Chair, Attorneys Serving the Community, 2003
- Member, Advisory Board, Turtle Creek Manor, 2002–2008
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Connecticut Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Rate : $$$