Kathryn Sanders Platnick has a broad-based transactional practice that encompasses all aspects of money management as well as corporate governance and risk management, structured funds, and mergers and acquisitions—particularly in connection with the acquisition and sale of money managers.
Kathy is widely recognized by legal ranking guides as a leading fund formation lawyer. For example, Legal 500 US named Kathy as a leading fund formation lawyer and a leader of a private equity fund formation practice that has achieved “impressive national spread” and “exposure to a diverse variety of fund products.”
In addition, Kathy was named as a “Leading Lawyer” for Investment Funds by Expert Guides and listed as a finalist for “Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America” by Lawdragon. She is also a member of Who’s Who Legal (2007-present).
In addition to her law practice, Kathy has had an active role in managing the Firm. She was one of six elected members on O’Melveny’s Partner Compensation Committee. Prior to that, she served on the Firm’s Policy Committee, an elected 12-member body responsible for overseeing O’Melveny’s general affairs and management.
Kathy is one of only a small handful of partners at O’Melveny to have been a member of both of these important firm governance structures. In addition, as co-chair of O’Melveny’s Diversity Task Force, Kathy also led a team of 12 in analyzing diversity issues within the firm and developing a long-term strategic plan to increase diversity.
- Investment Funds, Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies:
- Over the last 20 years, Kathy has structured and negotiated approximately 100 investment funds aggregating approximately US$18 billion in commitments. These products covered a broad range of asset classes, including buy-out, distressed, credit opportunity, venture, hedge, energy, real estate, life settlements, permanent capital, fund of funds, and country specific (particularly China). Her clients range from start-up ventures to well-established fund sponsors, such as Trust Company of the West and Freeman Spogli.
- Kathy is particularly adept at advising fund sponsors on structuring complex carried interest arrangements and analyzing fiduciary issues.
- Corporate Governance/Risk Management:
- Kathy acts as counsel to the independent members of the boards of several US-registered mutual funds with assets in excess of US$300 billion. In addition to general advice, she has conducted the annual board self assessment process since 2005.
- Kathy’s expertise includes creating codes of ethics and compliance policies for investment managers and assisting in developing 34 Act, Patriot Act and other reporting programs.
- Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Kathy has played a role in various mergers and acquisitions, particularly with respect to the acquisition and sale of money managers. Among the clients she has represented are:
- TCW in its sale to Societé Generalè.
- Houlihan Lokey, Howard & Zukin, Inc. in its sale to Orix.
- Structured Finance/Work-Outs:
- Kathy has advised money managers for approximately 20 market value and cash flow CLOs and CDOs over the last ten years. Representative clients include TCW, Jefferies and Ares Management.
- She has particular expertise in advising defaulted market value CDOs on restructuring and work-outs.
- New York
- District of Columbia
- University of Southern California, J.D., 1985: Order of the Coif; Southern California Law Review
- University of California at Los Angeles, B.A., Business and Economics, 1980: cum laude
- American Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Board of Councilors, USC Gould School of Law
- Board of Visitors, UCLA Department of Economics
- Board of Directors, Sierra Service Project
- Emeriti Governor and Former Chair, Institute for Corporate Counsel
- Past President, National Women’s Political Caucus, LA Metro Chapter
Rate : $$$$