Katie B. Garayoa represents clients in complex litigation matters, focusing her practice on commercial disputes and class actions. She regularly defends both businesses and individuals in a wide range of industries, before federal and state courts and arbitral tribunals across the country.
Katie has successfully prosecuted and defended multimillion-dollar cases involving intricate legal issues and extensive discovery records, mastering the law and facts to advance her client’s story and undermine that of her adversary.
Katie also regularly conducts sensitive internal investigations, interviewing witnesses and counseling clients regarding potential remedial measures. She also advises clients on how to mitigate class action risk by tailoring their consumer contracts and marketing materials.
Katie is a frequent presenter regarding class action and other issues that impact her client’s industries and businesses. She is a founding member of the firm’s Retail Industry initiative and regularly contributes to its TCPA Blog.
Her depth of knowledge in these areas provides her clients with significant advantages in negotiating settlements for threatened class claims and, where necessary, litigating those claims to a successful resolution.
In addition to serving her clients, Katie contributes significant time to the firm’s Associates Committee and Summer Committee, and participates in mentoring and training programs both within the firm and in the broader legal community.
- Commercial Disputes : Katie litigates complex commercial disputes for sophisticated corporate and individual clients. In her practice, Katie has :
- Represented a subsidiary of a global trading and investment company in pre-dispute negotiations concerning development of a solar power generating facility.
- Defended a multi-national private label beverage manufacturer in an arbitration asserting contract claims involving the market price of crops.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and litigated a preliminary injunction on behalf of an indenture trustee against a foreign bond issuer undertaking a refinancing transaction in violation of the governing indenture agreement.
- Defended a power transmission company in a declaratory judgment action brought by two wholesale power marketers, obtaining dismissal of all claims pursuant to the doctrine of primary jurisdiction.
- Class Actions : Katie defends clients across industries against a variety of consumer class action claims. In her practice, Katie has :
- Defended a financial services company in a class action asserting statutory claims arising from allegedly deficient repossession notices and post-sale notices.
- Defended a national cable services provider in a class action alleging consumer fraud, contract, and tort claims, obtaining orders denying motion to remand and compelling arbitration pursuant to the plaintiffs’ subscriber agreements.
- Defended a national petroleum and petrochemical manufacturer in a class action challenging sales and advertising practices related to its co-branded credit card program.
- Defended numerous clients, including a national transportation and trucking company, against claims for violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2010, University of Pennsylvania Law Review; Arthur Littleton and H. Clayton Louderback Legal Writing Instructor; Penn Law Women’s Association (Academic Chair)
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
Bar Admissions : New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$