Katie M. Rak advises both public and private clients in the design, implementation, and administration of retirement and health and welfare plans. Katie assists clients with day-to-day administration, as well as compliance issues, with pension plans, 401(k) plans, employee stock ownership plans, and 403(b) plans.
She provides advice on the effect of corporate transactions on both retirement and health and welfare plans and assists with agreement preparation, due diligence, and post-transaction integration of plans. Katie represents clients in interactions with several government agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Labor.
Specifically, Katie has extensive experience in preparing submissions to the agencies under voluntary correction programs and obtaining favorable rulings. Katie also helps clients’ benefit plans committees with fiduciary considerations, benefit claims processing, and plan design decisions.
Katie assists clients with regulatory and compliance issues that arise, as well as the maintenance of retirement and health and welfare plan documentation, including amendments, summary plan descriptions, and participant communications.
- Representation of governmental client in the implementation of pension reform initiatives and education of employee population regarding impact.
- Representation to evaluate and analyze operational failures under client retirement programs, including comprehensive risk analysis, outline of correction procedures, and large-scale submission to IRS under the EPCRS correction program.
- Advice on legal sufficiency and compliance of welfare plan documents and summary plan descriptions, as well as updated documents, as necessary for healthcare reform.
- Representation in a variety of mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence review of existing benefit offerings, negotiation of sale/purchase agreements, and planning for post-transaction operation or integration of plans.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, JD, 2004
- University of Notre Dame, BA, 2001
Admissions : Illinois
- Vice President, President-Elect and Board Member, Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law
- Co-President; Member, Scholarship Committee, Notre Dame Club of Northwest Indiana
Rate : $$$$