Kayla A. Brewe defends multinational companies in product liability litigation and general tort litigation. Kayla’s product liability matters involve a wide array of products, including fire protection systems and surgical and other medical devices.
Kayla works on cases throughout all stages of litigation under an alternative billing arrangement that more effectively serves clients’ business objectives. She conducts initial case assessments and legal research, drafts pleadings and motions, responds to discovery and oversees site inspections.
While in law school, Kayla refined her skills of effectively communicating her arguments. In her first year, Kayla won the Top Oral Advocate Award in the class-wide Moot Court Competition by arguing her appellate brief. As a member of the Arbitration Team, Kayla was named an American Bar Association National Champion in her second year for her advocacy and alternate dispute resolution skills.
During her third year, Kayla competed at the National Trial Competition and was part of the first team in Mizzou’s history to advance to quarterfinals, placing among the top 8 trial teams in the country. When she graduated, Kayla was inducted into the Order of the Barristers, an honor bestowed upon the top ten oral advocates of the graduating class.
Kayla also honed her writing skills in law school. She served as a teaching assistant in the first-year legal research and writing course and as the note and comment editor of the Journal of Environmental and Sustainability Law, which published her article examining a Missouri court’s decision to retroactively limit punitive damages.
Kayla also received the Judge J.F. Cottey Award, which recognizes the top first-year student in written and oral advocacy.
- J.D., University of Missouri School of Law, 2016
- Order of Barristers
- Judge Crahan Memorial Judicial Fellowship (Summer Clerk for the Hon. Glenn Norton, Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District)
- 1L Moot Court Top Oral Advocate
- Judge J.F. Cottey Advocacy Award
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards (Advocacy & Research, Jury Instructions, Evidence, Pre-Trial Litigation, Contract Drafting, Negotiation)
- Journal of Environmental and Sustainability Law, Note and Comment Editor
- Board of Advocates
- Assistant Negotiation Director
- Public Relations Director
- Arbitration Team, Regional Champions (2014, 2016), ABA National Champions (2015)
- National Trial Competition Team, Regional Semi-Finalist (2015), National Quarter-Finalists (2016)
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society, Magister (2L, 3L)
- B.A., summa cum laude, University of Central Missouri, 2013
- Honors College
- Sue Shear Institute of Women in Public Life Fellowship
- University of Central Missouri Charno Award, Finalist
- Who’s Who at the University of Central Missouri Award
- Mock Trial Team, Captain
- Pre-Law Students Association, President
- Student Government Association, Student Body Vice President
- Alpha Sigma Alpha, President
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
Rate : $$$